WHEN to start seeds this year???

terryincs(z5 IL)March 4, 2014

with all this crazy cold--it's still not above freezing here (months) in NW IL, i'm at a loss as to when to start my seeds. normally i would have started a few things, but i don't even have the bug this year. i would normally be planting potatoes outside later this month but the ground will be frozen for a VERY long time. What are you all doing this year???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ajames54(5)

I'm in the same boat as you weather wise here in Toronto but I've started some things already. To be honest I've been putting together a small hydroponic system in the basement so if I'm too early I can just leave stuff under the lights. That being said I always start slower growing things like hot peppers and leeks by the end of February. I did rush things a little and start a couple different heirloom tomatoes over the weekend.. I guess my reaction to the long winter is to hurry spring along.

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 2:53PM
jomuir(z5 detroit)

I'm using May 15th as my outdoors planting date (fingers crossed). I started petunias, geranium, begonia, pentas & abutilon already but don't have much germinated yet & I'm using a heating mat this year. I made a list of my seeds this year & noted when to start them so all I do is check my notebook every week to see if I need to start anything. Around March 22 I'll start balsam, calendula, dianthus, tithonia & coleus.

I heard somewhere that after a winter like this one, with prolonged very cold temps, the summer will be much cooler than normal. So I may use black plastic to warm the soil this year esp for the tomatoes & peppers.

Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 1:05PM
justanotherider(4b)

I'm using the typical frost-free date for my area to plan my planting dates as usual. If the long range forecast shows frost later than normal when the time comes, I'll just keep my tender crops indoors a bit longer.

The only crops that I know that are adversely affected by spending too much time indoors are the brassicas, (Brussels sprouts in particular) and they're pretty frost hardy anyway, so I'll just stick them in the ground at 5 weeks and let them tough it out.

If I'm off base in my thinking, I'd sure appreciate hearing about it.

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 6:52PM
terryincs(z5 IL)

i started some things hoping the spring actually comes sometime in may! started my heirloom tomatoes, some sweet peppers and eggplants, coleus, snapdragons. i have them under lights when they come up so should be ok. we deserve a good summer!

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 9:55PM
More Discussions
Planting a raspberry bush
Cross post: I bought this raspberry bush yesterday...
chol1024
Question about cow manure
I'm wondering what is best about putting actual cow...
tewitt1949
Any mushroom compost near Chicago?
Hi- I live in Evanston, and I have a garden in one...
nfriday
Children's Educational Kickstarter Fundraiser
Hello Everyone- My mother is fundraising for a children's...
Desirae
Chipmunk Hell
I have chipmunks (that which were extremely cute in...
jennsterm
Sponsored Products
Soto Leather Chair - Brighton Polinesia Blue
Joybird Furniture
Emerald Home Brighton Dove Gray Square Leg Counter Height Table - EMER558
$459.99 | Hayneedle
Solare Cotton Pure Patchwork Oversize Throw
Overstock.com
Authentic Pestemal Fouta Turquoise Blue Turkish Cotton Bath/ Beach Towel
Overstock.com
Mistral Petite Wall-Mount Bathroom Sink
Signature Hardware
Home Decorators Collection Outdoor Lanterns. Sutton Wall-Mount Outdoor Mediterra
$21.98 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™