green (undried) gourds

misma73August 21, 2007

Does anyone know if green (undried) lagenaria or similar gourds are available at this time of year? If so, where?

Thank you.

I want to try the niihau technique which requires green, not dried, gourds.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weirdtrev

I don't know of anywhere that has them now, but in a month they will start selling them on roadside stands everywhere. Do you need them right now? Because if you wait a month I am certain you will have no problem finding them.

Oh and if you don't already I would recommend growing your own. They are a lot of fun to grow and I just picked on today to enter in the Maryland State Fair, so you can get them early if you need them.

Bookmark   August 21, 2007 at 7:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agardenstateof_mind

Misma23, thank you for posting your question. I've just acquired some roughly 7-pound gourds, still in the green stage. I'd heard these have many uses and can be decorated, but have absolutely no experience in this area. I just researched the niihau technique and will definitely try it!

FYI, ours were havested today in Central New Jersey, so I expect that any grown in SC should be well-ripened by now. We had to leave many behind, though, severely damaged by an awful hail storm ... what a shame!

Bookmark   September 6, 2007 at 11:37PM
More Discussions
Splendid SquashSwap...What are you growing this year?
Hi guys! I am hosting a pumpkin and squash seed swap!...
fresc1000
wanted: seeds from a large pumpkin
My daughter would like to grow a giant pumpkin next...
hosta_miser
Pie off between Baby Blue Hubbard and Winter Luxury Pie Pumpkin
We made pies from both squashes and the family decided...
springtogarden
This year's winter squash winners and losers
This year I tried the following C Maxima squashes....
tcstoehr
New England Orange Hubbard Pumpkin
When a New England Blue Hubbard Squash is pollinated...
acorneti
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™