What is this sticky white gel on my Pumpkins

LavenderQueenAugust 30, 2013

This is my first year with Pumpkins and they are doing well but just noticed a lot of white gel like beads on the underside of my pumpkin (the side that is on the soil). The dark stuff is just the soil. They are actually quite translucent which you can't tell in the photo. What is it and how should I get rid of it (naturally as I don't use pesticides or chemicals). Thanks so much

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
springtogarden(6)

I am not sure what it is but it could be some sort of decay. Some of the people on these boards advised me to put my pumpkins on something as they grow to avoid mold from morning dew and/or damage from insects. They advised me to use foam, non-pressure treated wood or other items to get the pumpkin off the ground. I have mine on wood. They are fine despite lots of morning dew.

Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 11:55PM
zelenkabach

I had some streams of white gel on some squash and it turned out to be the excrement of worms that had entered the squash. I don't think that is what you have, because it looks different, but look closely and see if there are any insect holes in the pumpkin and that might be the cause. Good luck!

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 2:46AM
greenbean08_gw(PNW)

I wonder if they might be slug eggs? I've only seen them once, and I'm not saying they ARE slug eggs, but you might Google it to see what you think.

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 3:55AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

scrape it off and hose it down and see if it is external or internal in source. If internal, then the pumpkin is maybe done with.

Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 6:30AM
LavenderQueen

Thank you all for your feedback and advice on how to possibly improve the situation. I checked with the local Master Gardeners and they were stumped so they advised me to contact my local UC AG extension. So I will let you know what I found out.

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 2:03PM
More Discussions
wanted: seeds from a large pumpkin
My daughter would like to grow a giant pumpkin next...
hosta_miser
Best way to weatherproof birdhouse gourd?
I made some birdhouses from gourds 2 years ago. Made...
sandlady
Will this ever result in an actual pumpkin?
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie. I experimented with planting...
stephiepoopy
Nadym pink
C. maxima 'Nadym pink' (Np) is as a sibbling of Nadym...
acorneti
Pumpkins turning yellow/withering
I'm trying to grow some Jarrahdale pumpkins but they...
Straylian
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™