What can I do about pumpkin vines?

RitingyouAugust 18, 2011

This is my second year planting pumpkins. Last year was fantastic! I only planted 3 seeds and ended up with 9 pumpkins! This year I had more room so I planted 6 on July 4th. But now I have one that is around 7-8 feet long and the others are maybe 2-3.

I noticed some of the leaves looked as if they were being nibbled on, but since they were nibbled on when little from grasshoppers I figured they were ok because it didnt look new. A couple days later I notice one vine looking a bit yellow, and now I'm fineing holes not only in that one vine but almost all! It's right at the root and there seems to be orange/yellow gunk surrounding it. As if a bug went inside and was making it hallow.

I never had these issues last year, and not sure what to do now. I only have 2 pumpkins growing and they are the size of my thumb on the longest vine furthest away from my pumpkin patch. What did I do wrong? WHat can I do to fix this?!?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

You have Squash Vine Borers (SVBs). I know of them only from reading (Thank God!) so I won't try to give advice. Search 'borers' or 'SVB' at the bottom of the forum page.

Bookmark   August 18, 2011 at 9:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weirdtrev

Definitely SVB. Try burying the vine. This is one of the many reasons why crop rotation is so important, however in a small garden this is hard to achieve. The more years you grow the same thing the worse off you will be. If you don't kill the grubs in the vines they will burrow into the ground and be a problem next year. I just stab vines with a small pin a bunch of times to kill the grub in place, others slit the vine open, down the length of the vine, to pull out the grub. You can leave it in and just bury the whole length of the vine because roots can grow at the base of each leaf on the vine.

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 9:12AM
More Discussions
Splendid SquashSwap...What are you growing this year?
Hi guys! I am hosting a pumpkin and squash seed swap!...
fresc1000
Indoor Pumpkin Plant
Here is my pumpkin plant fully grown indoors with its...
gregplantaine7
Breeding zuccihini for borer resistance
I know it is considered not possible . I made some...
jerry63
Fresh -dried Ugu(Fluted Pumkin leaves,pods,and seeds available
I have ample supplies of ugu leaves and seeds for sale.Please...
cliff-brazil
Pie off between Baby Blue Hubbard and Winter Luxury Pie Pumpkin
We made pies from both squashes and the family decided...
springtogarden
Sponsored Products
Markamoderna | LAMI Perforated Stainless Steel Center Table
YLiving.com
Alfresco Home Cobblestone Cast Aluminum 64 in. Square Patio Dining Table Multico
Hayneedle
Foscarini | Lumiere XXL Table Lamp
YLighting
Monarch Specialties I 7826S Dark Brown Sofa Table w/ Slate Top
Beyond Stores
Chevrons Ibiza Rug
$99.99 | zulily
Witt Industries Geo Cubes 24 Gallon Slate Recycling Bin - 24GC01-SL
$177.99 | Hayneedle
AF Lighting Horizon Chain Link Table Lamp - Black - 8315-TL
$338.00 | Hayneedle
Makayla Grand Collection Leatherette Bed - Pink - IDF-7056PK-T