5-6 ft upright grass

hostaholic2 z 4, MNAugust 13, 2009

I'm new to the OG forum and I 'm hoping you can give me some input. I'm looking at redoing a border and want a tall, upright, clumping grass for the backdrop. I'm thinking of sorghastrum, Blue Hills, but am certainly open to suggestions. Any pros, cons etc. to that grass or suggestions for alternatives would be appreciated. Also, I'm in zone 4. Can I still plant this summer/early fall or should I wait till spring? Thanks for any input you can give.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

I'm not familiar with 'Blue Hills,' and can't find any information on it. I've heard of 'Cheyenne,' 'Sioux Blue' and 'Indian Steel' as cultivars of Sorghastrum nutans.

I haven't grown Sorghastrum, but comparing photos of it to Panicum virgatum 'Northwind' shows 'Northwind' to be far more upright in habit, and almost as blue in color as 'Sioux Blue.' I grow 'Northwind' and it's by far the most erect grass I've found.

If you are going to plant a fairly large potted grass, and have at least 6-8 weeks before truly cold weather, you might get away with late summer planting. To be on the safe side, I'd wait for spring.

Bookmark   August 13, 2009 at 4:34PM
hostaholic2 z 4, MN

Sorry, my goof I was thinking Sioux Blue, and typing Blue Hill. I like the upright form of Northwind, but have lost them two winters in a row.

Bookmark   August 13, 2009 at 10:58PM
donn_(7b-8a)

That's a shame about the 'Northwind.' Bluestem.ca rates it for Z4, but either it's a tenuous Z4, or you're in a cold Z4.

Have you tried Calamagrostis x acutiflora 'Karl Foerster?' Foliage is 4' tall, and blooms to 6' and it's very upright. It's rated for Z3.

Bookmark   August 14, 2009 at 1:56PM
More Discussions
established Pampus grass dead
hi, about 7 years ago i planted Pampas grass, and it...
bella81762
Splitting my Maiden Grass
I plan on splitting my grass in the spring. When is...
purpleshovel
Carex Comans 'Frosty Curls' turning brown yellow
I have searched a bit on this subject and have not...
ersh
Maiden grass
Is maiden grass too invasive to be nearby a septic...
nancy0852
Can anyone ID the plant
I saw a beautiful grass outside a mall. Does anyone...
Chipeony
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™