Help with ID a green-purple grass with fuzzy seeds

vivian_2010August 26, 2013

All,

I have been looking for a purple (or green-purple grass) with fuzze seeds for a while. My husband took a picture of this grass he saw at a parkway close to his work. It is about ~ 3-4 ft tall. Can you please help identify this beautiful grass? This is exactly what I want. I like to make sure I purchase the correct cultivar.

Thank you for your help!

Vivian

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

Probably Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum' ...an annual in your zone.

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 12:20PM
vivian_2010

Donn, Thank you for the information. I was hoping you would say that it is a perennial.......

I am also researching some switch grasses. some of them (such as switchgrass cheyenne sky) are hardy for zone 5 and has the purple foliage in the fall. Maybe I can settle for that?

Thanks so much for the information.
Vivian

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 9:26PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

It is a perennial but, as was said, it's tender -- i.e., won't survive outdoors in your climate. Mine either. :(

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 11:57PM
donn_(7b-8a)

There are at least a few Panicum cultivars which turn red/burgundy in mid-summer and last into the fall. They should all be reliable perennials in your zone.

Other than 'Cheyenne Sky' there is 'Rotstrahlbusch,' 'Ruby Ribbons' and 'Shenandoah.' In my opinion, 'Shenandoah' is the best of them.

The Panicum will not have the same foxtail flowers as Pennisetum. They produce finer textured airy flower heads.

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 7:41AM
dgregory_so.cntrl.IL_zone6a

Last September I planted pennisetum "Cassian" and it has taken off nicely. It has produced purple(ish) fox tails similar to what you are admiring. The foliage is mostly green with very little red, but it's a great little grass.

About a month ago I planted panicum "Shenandoah" (one plant split to create two). It has put on new (green) growth and kept the original pretty red leaves and airy flower heads. After terrific advise from Donn about it, and looking high and low, I finally found "Shenandoah" this summer. I'm very pleased!

Deb

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 4:38PM

Here is Shenandoah, very young but showing red leaves with new growth on the right and airy flowers.

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 8:49PM

Here is Cassian. There are hints of red in the leaves, difficult to see in the photo.

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 8:55PM
vivian_2010

Thank you Jean, Donn and Deb for the recommendation. Now I am on a mission to search for Shenandoah and Cassian. They both look lively in Deb's pictures. I think I saw Shenandoah at one of the nurseries but was obsessed about finding the purple fountain grass with the fuzzy seeds (my husband call them fuzzy seeds) at that time.......Now I know better. I can plant both Shenandoah and Cassian at two different gardens.

Thanks again for the help.
Vivian

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 11:19PM
More Discussions
What type of ornnamental grass is this? Pruning Needed?
1. Curious as to what exact type of Fountain Grass...
bretthickman
Hakonechloa All Gold looking rough
I have an area of my yard that stays pretty well shaded...
katiedsmith
Maiden grass
Is maiden grass too invasive to be nearby a septic...
nancy0852
type of grass?
This is such a pretty grass. Everyone asks what it...
bunky
Miscanthus sinensis Advice
Hello, I want to plant some Miscanthus grass on the...
nick0001
Sponsored Products
Reverb Office Chair in Green
$229.00 | LexMod
Milson Lines Rug 7'9" x 9'9"
$1,699.00 | Horchow
Tiffany Peacock Flush Mount Round Drum Ceiling Lighting
ParrotUncle
Home Decorators Collection Carts & Stands Avery 2-Cube MDF Mobile Cart in
Home Depot
Broan Evolution 3 Series 36-inch Stainless Steel Under-cabinet Range Hood
Overstock.com
Chocolate Eclipse Meridian Window Panel
$17.99 | zulily
Sterling Vista Pivot II 1535D-42N-G10 42W x 69H in. Pebbled Glass Shower Door Mu
$809.99 | Hayneedle
Crosby Slate Thermal Insulated 80-by-84 inch Tab Top Foamback Curtains
$61.95 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™