Broken Squash Vine

bcjen(2b)August 29, 2012

Hello,

I've got a great vegetable garden going this year (finally!), but we just had a big wind storm, and I've been assessing the damage.

The only problem I've had to date with my squash/zucc/cukes has been powdery mildew- no squash borers, yahoo! So now I've got several fist-sized buttercup squash growing on a trellis/plant stand, and the wind knocked it over and snapped one of the vines!

I'm a little heartbroken- does anyone have any suggestions? Would it be possible to save it? Re-root it? Splint it? Yes, I know I'm grasping at straws here, but any advice would be appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Jen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sid23

If it is totally broken off and there are no other roots in dirt after the break then I think there is not much of a chance. If it is partially broken and it is possible get the vine straightened out and get some dirt on the break you may save it. Being it is in a pot I presume, that it is going up a trellis, this may not be possible. Good luck with it bcjen.

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 10:38PM
More Discussions
Squash varities
Hi! I've never cared much for squash, mostly due to...
HollowOakFarm
New Blue Banana
Guatemala and other blue banana squash fruits are known...
acorneti
More phloem for more transportation of assimilates
http://environment.harvard.edu/news/faculty-news/biggest-ever-fruit-world-0 Here...
acorneti
Pie off between Baby Blue Hubbard and Winter Luxury Pie Pumpkin
We made pies from both squashes and the family decided...
springtogarden
Blue Gyroscope
Cucurbita maxima 'Blue Gyroscope' is a cross with mother...
acorneti
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™