How to propagate Snowflake Viburnum and Pink Fringe Lorapetalum

Kathy BochonkoAugust 28, 2005

I am interested in trying some propagating-- Snowflake Viburnum and Pink Fringe Lorapetalum. I am assuming both can be done via softwood cutting, I read mention somewhere that I need to take a heel with the lorapetalum. Has anyone successfully rooted either of these? If so can you give a newbie step by step advice? What sort of medium. Can I still root some for in time for the fall trade? I am also hoping to root Caryopteris 'Sunshine Blue' will these three need different methods? I am still pretty new to propagation but I think it is fun. I have done a few hydrangeas and other easy ones like that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bruggirl100(z9 FL)

I've rooted lorapetalum by scraping the underside of a limb and anchoring it to the ground with a rock. It layered quite easily that way.

Down here in Florida, we take semi-hardwood cuttings and use the liquid type rooting hormone, which is more successful with rooting shrubbery cuttings.

Bookmark   September 1, 2005 at 11:22AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindagail41(zone 7 GA)

I have had a hard time propagating most viburnums by cuttings and I am not familiar with the Snowflake, but the other responder was right about layering a branch on the ground. If you can keep it moist, you may have roots before the trade.

I have done the purple leaf lorapetalum successfully about 5 times out of 30. I hadn't heard about taking the heel, I will try that soon. I take semi-hard cuttings, dip in harmone and either put in good potting soil and "tent" it in plastic, or stick directly into the ground (mostly compost) by a mister. You won't have good roots before the trade. I usually wait about two months and then find just the beginning of roots. I lose most of mine at this point when I transplant them too early. The green leaf ones are a different subject. I have rooted those much more successfully and in a shorter time. And both take about two years before they begin branching and looking like anything but the cutting you began with--they don't lost their leaves during the process.

Bookmark   September 8, 2005 at 9:21AM
More Discussions
Is anyone using rock dust in the garden?
I learned about rock dust a few days ago and I want...
kngskid
Insured Tree Removal Cmp recommendations
Is there a good INSURED & reasonable tree removal...
vnginger
Where should I plant a fatsia japonica?
Other than, in a milder climate. I've had it in a pot...
esga
free partially bags of fertilizer, lime, etc.
Can't move these. I have partial bags of fertilizer,...
Tricia
Shade Garden Ideas Help
I am renting a townhouse that has a 4X4 foot square...
jerseygarden123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™