Bleached Big Max Leaves

VanillaLatte213August 15, 2012

I have the Ferry Morse, Big Max pumpkin that I have been growing. At first it was a happy little plant with nice dark green leaves but now it looks like the leaves are slowly being bleached. I really have no earthly idea why my leaves have suddenly decided that they don't want to be a nice healthy green any more.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
VanillaLatte213

Wasn't quite sure if you all wanted to see where the my Max was. He's currently lonely right now because his friends are in the greenhouse growing. We have a rat problem so if I directly plant them into the ground they get eaten =__='

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 9:09PM
VanillaLatte213

And it's little patch =)

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 9:10PM
terrybull

did you harden the plant before putting it outside? if it was grown in that greenhouse and put outside it most likely was not ready for full sun.

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 9:26AM
VanillaLatte213

That Big Max was directly planted in the ground. That was when I didn't know what in the world was eating the plants. I thought I just needed to start a new crop due to silly things I had done.

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 3:01PM
lizbeth_pa

I don't really know. I'm playing around w/ planting some late pumpkin right now to see what happens. I do have a cold frame. I wonder what would happen if you built a cold frame around them to help them get growing. Might already have the PM! Are there other pumpkin startings in the greenhouse?

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 7:49PM
lizbeth_pa

How about did you fertilize? I'd better go fertilize my pumpkin baby plants tomorrow.

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 7:52PM
VanillaLatte213

I think I might go hide in a corner now =__= Fertilizer might just be what it needs to look green. Poor guy, probably hates me!

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 8:14PM
weirdtrev

That is not the right place to plant a pumpkin, it is shaded by the house, tree, potted plants and greenhouse. The plant is definitely not getting enough sun. The plant is deperately trying to capture enough light to live and it can't, that is why the leaves are changing color. Pumpkins require full sun.

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 10:40AM
More Discussions
Pumpkins turning yellow/withering
I'm trying to grow some Jarrahdale pumpkins but they...
Straylian
Is There A Black Pumpkin?
I'll say up front I'm fairly sure the answer is "No,...
Edymnion
More phloem for more transportation of assimilates
http://environment.harvard.edu/news/faculty-news/biggest-ever-fruit-world-0 Here...
acorneti
Lloyd-ellipsoid
It's hard to grow C. moschata in hardiness Zone 6,...
acorneti
Splendid SquashSwap...What are you growing this year?
Hi guys! I am hosting a pumpkin and squash seed swap!...
fresc1000
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™