How many fruit on a Sugar Hubbard/pruning vines

deo777August 1, 2010

I'm growing a Sugar Hubbard (c. maxima) which is a cross between a hubbard and a sweet meat pumpkin. It currently has three large fruit and four smaller ones. Should I prune the end of the vines to keep more fruit from forming and to let the focus the plants energy to the current fruit? Each fruit is supposed to weigh about 15-20 lbs.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weirdtrev

If you have the space I personally wouldn't prune, the only time I prune is to constrain the vines to a certain area. The vine will stop producing fruit once it has all it can handle by very small fruit either rotting away or female flowers shriveling and never opening. If you limit the number of fruit on a plant you will get bigger fruit, which to me is undesirable. I would much rather have a ton of smaller fruit than few beautiful large fruit. This is because winter squash easily store over 6 months if stored properly, but once you cut into one it is a race against the clock to use it all. And I suspect the average family doesn't doesn't go through 20 pounds of squash in a few days unless you really like it!

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 7:34AM
More Discussions
New Blue Banana
Guatemala and other blue banana squash fruits are known...
acorneti
New England Orange Hubbard Pumpkin
When a New England Blue Hubbard Squash is pollinated...
acorneti
Pie off between Baby Blue Hubbard and Winter Luxury Pie Pumpkin
We made pies from both squashes and the family decided...
springtogarden
How to ammend soil and seed timing
We live on a rocky hillside in Southern California....
Suzi AKA DesertDance
HAVE: Round Robin SquashSwap
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roundrobin/msg011538403422.html?6...
fresc1000
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™