pumpkins dying

dick1204August 19, 2009

I have several Burpee Big Max plants. This my second year growing these. My problem this year is that early on I had 5 to 7 good looking fruit from golf ball size to softball size and thought things were going good. They looked healthy and were a nice yellow color. In short order these all turned white and rotted away. Subsequent fruit have done the same thing.

The plants and leaves are all healthy green and large. I even hand polinated some of these fruit and I know there are plenty of bees around.

I know fruit will shrivel and die if not pollinated but how big will they get before they die. I figured I was beyond that stage with these fruit.

We had a very wet early summer here. Could this have had something to do with it or is there some disease going on.

I did not have this problem last year. I water daily and fertilize weekly with a Miracle Grow foilage feeder.

Thanks

Dick, Andover, MA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macmex

Dick, do the plants look healthy?

George
Tahlequah, OK

Bookmark   August 20, 2009 at 7:28AM
impulse

I'm having the exact same problem. Though, I'm growing my pumpkins(jack-o-lanterns) in pots. They flower abundantly and bees are everywhere. As the fruit begins to form it looks great and then goes white and rotten. I don't water daily, about every 2-3 days. I also Miracle grow on a weekly basis. I was wondering if it was maybe because the plants are growing up onto my deck and not on the ground. My summer has also been very similar to Dick's.

Bookmark   August 20, 2009 at 7:47AM
dick1204

Thanks for the replies:

To macmex: Yeah the plants look great. Big green leaves and thick vines. I now have several more fruit that so far look good. Weather has been drier lately and I have cut back on my watering.

To impulse: I doubt growing them on the deck is a problem. Better to keep them off the wet ground. Perhaps it was the wet spring and wet early summer. I now have a couple bigger than a softball. I've cut back on watering and it has been drier. Lets see what happens.

Dick, Andover, MA

Bookmark   August 20, 2009 at 6:06PM
More Discussions
Lloyd-ellipsoid
It's hard to grow C. moschata in hardiness Zone 6,...
acorneti
How to ammend soil and seed timing
We live on a rocky hillside in Southern California....
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Splendid SquashSwap...What are you growing this year?
Hi guys! I am hosting a pumpkin and squash seed swap!...
fresc1000
Nadym pink
C. maxima 'Nadym pink' (Np) is as a sibbling of Nadym...
acorneti
Kirbs Bjela Woda
In 2014 I created my first squash and pumpkins for...
acorneti
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™