Blue Fescue grass

firefightrsflameAugust 13, 2007

I have some tiny blue fescue that I planted in the front of my house. They haven't grown much so I don't know if I am caring for them wrong.

I have them on a east wall where they get part sun/part shade.

They're really not tooo blue. Kind of been getting fried from the heat of summer. Redoing our drip line currently, so I don't know how much water to give them.

Any ideas would be wonderful! Thank you- Terra

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

When did you plant them?

Blue Fescue is a cool season grass, which can get pretty ratty and even go dormant during the heat of summer.

If they've been in the ground for at least a few months, and have gotten themselves established, I'd suggest cutting them back and keeping them well watered until the weather cools off in the fall.

Bookmark   August 13, 2007 at 6:12PM
firefightrsflame

I put them in the ground late spring/early summer.

I wonder if they've gone dormant cause they are kind of more brown with a touch of blue. They are tiny..real tiny.. maybe 8" wide. They don't look like they've grown much at all since I put them in the ground. How do I cut them back? - Terra

Bookmark   August 13, 2007 at 6:20PM
donn_(7b-8a)

If they were longer established, I'd say to cut them back to an inch or 2, but since they haven't been in the ground very long, I'd leave them as they are, and add water. If you can, shade them from the hottest sun. Even setting a lawn chair over them would help.

Bookmark   August 13, 2007 at 7:24PM
firefightrsflame

Thanks for the advice, it is appreciated! - Terra

Bookmark   August 14, 2007 at 1:51AM
sandy0225(z5 Indiana)

Blue fescue doesn't get large, so don't expect it to get real tall or anything like that.
Every once in a while when I grow blue fescue plugs from seed, some of them stay green while others look very blue. If yours looked really blue when you planted them, they are just stressed. Water them well and keep them on a watering schedule and give them a little shade if you can rig it up. After a few waterings and they look better, give them some fertilizer, too, something with a high first number.
If they really didn't look blue at planting, but you expected them to develop more blue color, then you planted duds. Rip them out and get some more in the fall.

Bookmark   August 20, 2007 at 7:44AM
More Discussions
How to maintain this ornemental grass
We have quite a few of these ornamental grasses at...
bgaviator
Blue Dune Lyme Grass Seeds
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew a supplier for Blue...
ehunt123
The reddest Panicum virgatum
I would like to add one of those Panicum virgatums...
wannabegardnr
Propagation of Nassella laevissima "Golden Hair Grass" from seed?
I posted on this plant back on July 8 in the "Growing...
mark4321_gw
Splitting my Maiden Grass
I plan on splitting my grass in the spring. When is...
purpleshovel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™