Harvesting Big Max / Jack O'Lantern Varieties

postmanAugust 10, 2009

Hello all. I am hoping you all can give me some advice, as this is my first year growing pumpkins. I planted big max and jack o'lantern varieties back in late May, and I am a little unsure about an appropriate harvest time.

My big max pumpkins have turned a dark shade of orange, and the leaves and vines are turning yellow and in some spots have died. My Jack O'Lantern pumpkins have turned orange as well, and again leaves are yellowing and drying up. It appears all have stopped growing in size, but I do not want to prematurely cut the pumpkins off. Is it safe to leave the pumpkins on the vines at this stage or should I go ahead and remove?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iam3killerbs(7 NC Sandhills)

If there is no sign of bug damage where they touch the ground just leave them until the vine is completely dead.

Once the vine is dead and dry there's nothing more to be gained by leaving them attached so, at that point, cure them and move them to a cool, dry place for storage.

Bookmark   August 11, 2009 at 10:49AM
cyrus_gardner(8)

Ditto.

to take precausion aboutpossible bottom rotting, put some pine straws under them, to keep dry.
Even after the vines die, the pumkins keep getting mature in the sun, the shell will get harder, the seeds will ripe.

Bookmark   August 11, 2009 at 9:53PM
postman

Thanks for the advice everyone.

It seems that my Big Max pumpkins start rotting as soon as the vine begins to weaken. The Jack O Lanterns seem to be hardening and not rotting. I will keep an eye on it, thanks again for the advice.

Bookmark   August 12, 2009 at 10:27PM
More Discussions
Nadym pink
C. maxima 'Nadym pink' (Np) is as a sibbling of Nadym...
acorneti
New England Orange Hubbard Pumpkin
When a New England Blue Hubbard Squash is pollinated...
acorneti
Lloyd-ellipsoid
It's hard to grow C. moschata in hardiness Zone 6,...
acorneti
'Jutras Apple' Winter Squash
We have selected many Cucurbita maxima ''Turk' Turban''...
acorneti
Palav Kadoo
Cucurbita moschata 'Palav Kadoo' was developed in central...
acorneti
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™