Too Cold for a Garden?

antoniab(5 WofChicago,IL)April 5, 2013

I am looking at moving, and one of the places I'm looking to move to is at the bottom of a small hill outside of Mount Carroll IL. The yard is on the west side of a hill, and the bottom dips below the grade of the road, forming a low spot. I love this yard, and would love to terrace the slope for a veggie garden and plant dwarf fruit trees at the bottom but I'm worried that a garden there will be much more susceptible to late spring frosts and early fall frosts.
Will there be a big difference since it is on a western side of a hill with a big dip at the bottom?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidcalgary29(2b)

Possibly. But think of it this way: even if you lose a hardiness zone in a microclimate with poor air drainage, you'll still be growing your fruit in zone 3b/4a conditions, and that's good enough for most temperate fruit trees. Many hardy varieties of fruit trees have been bred for short-season areas, and if I can grown apples, cherries (pie), and pears in northern Alberta, I think it's likely that you'll find suitable varieties for your comparatively more temperate climate.

The western exposure may be more problematic than the low spot, though: you might have to paint the trunks with a reflective paint so that the trees don't break winter dormancy too soon in warm spells. It probably won't be too much of an issue, though.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 11:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Noogy(6 sw mi)

Grow your dwf trees above and terrace for others like bushes, and leafy greens down below? Since the late frost protection from being up and having better air circulation will work, now you have to battle the fungus. I assume you have a lot of dew late into the AM?

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 7:35AM
More Discussions
Chipmunk Hell
I have chipmunks (that which were extremely cute in...
jennsterm
Flowering ash, Fraxinus ornus.
Hey all, I was reading Dirr's encyclopedia of trees...
DanMSU13
New to Lilies
I am thinking of planting some kind of dark red lily...
owl9
Transplanting perennials in wintertime (from IL to IN)
I need some advice. I want to transplant many of my...
Tammyellers990
lawn moss question
I searched here and many have problems with moss in...
tewitt1949
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™