pumpkin vine color

filmost(8b)August 19, 2013

Hello! First timer poster here with a quick question about pumpkin vine color.

The main vine of my pumpkins has become a very dark green color. I'm not sure if this is good or bad, however I have noticed some vertical splits (run along the vine) in some areas, and it looks like the vines are becoming tougher. Can anyone shed some light on this? I am assuming they shouldn't be getting so dark. (please see pic)

Other information: I have two plants growing on trellises and planted directly into the ground, and have seen this happen to both of them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

That should be fine. How the leaves look like ?
Leaves mirror the state of health of the plant and tell you what they want or dont want. .

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 1:27AM
filmost(8b)

Thats good to know!

Leaves aren't doing too well I think. One of my plants had a really bad problem with leaf miners so I cut a lot of leaves as a prevention measure. Current leaves are light green and a little dry, I think due in the hot weather and all day exposure to sun. I do have a few yellow leaves, but usually they are damaged leaves.

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 2:06AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

When was the last time you fertilized them ?

If the leave are pale green, then they might need some boost. Any all purpose fertilizer should do. Liquid type will act faster than granular. I would use it at half recommended strength, just to be safe.

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 9:37AM
filmost(8b)

I fertilized last week. I do it once a week with a liquid fertilizer @ 1/4th cap per 15L of water.

I posted in another thread about a pumpkin showing a bump rind, and someone mentioned it could be a mosaic virus, so at the moment I am not to hopeful for the health of the plants.

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 9:43AM
More Discussions
Is There A Black Pumpkin?
I'll say up front I'm fairly sure the answer is "No,...
Edymnion
? for birdhouse gourd expert growers
Just for giggles I bought a $2 pack of birdhouse gourd...
donnywayne1
More phloem for more transportation of assimilates
http://environment.harvard.edu/news/faculty-news/biggest-ever-fruit-world-0 Here...
acorneti
Splendid SquashSwap...What are you growing this year?
Hi guys! I am hosting a pumpkin and squash seed swap!...
fresc1000
Blue Gyroscope
Cucurbita maxima 'Blue Gyroscope' is a cross with mother...
acorneti
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™