Little Princess Spirea

scout21aApril 28, 2008

I have several little princesses in my yard and some have a lot of dead branches on them with some having a little life. What should I do? are they salvagable?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goodhors(z5 MI)

I think you are talking about the little Japanese spirea, which get the pink flowers, stay about 30" tall.

If so, you can prune these sharply each spring. I try to cut mine before leaf buds get going to save plant's energy for regrowth. You can still cut them if leaves have started, just remove less stick.

I take off about 6 inches, but mine have no leaves when trimmed. If the leaves are bigger than your fingernail, I would only take 3-4 inches off. Take out any dead sticks, thin out the middle area. This lets air move around more easily, preventing problems and dead stick (no leaves) centers in bush.

I find my Japanese spireas bloom very well with this program. I also get real good color in the leaves, with bush being quite thick all season. I have the Lime and Gold Mound bushes in two locations for their color. Pruning seems to aid color intensity as well.

Bookmark   April 28, 2008 at 10:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
srgbv(6)

Little Princess is a variety of Spiraea japonica, and is not so little as the name implies. Cut back to nearly ground level in early spring(too late now) to rejuvenate.

Steve Galehouse

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 10:38PM
More Discussions
Children's Educational Kickstarter Fundraiser
Hello Everyone- My mother is fundraising for a children's...
Desirae
New construction - tree choices
Hi there, So we have a 1.5 acre lot that I'd like to...
BeccaMI
red bugs eating lilies
Hello...I have red bugs eating my lily leaves...they...
dllfb
Morning Glory Light Requirements
Hello! I live in Chesterland, Ohio which is in Geauga...
mum_mum
Prune back and move???
Within the next month we will be tearing out our old...
pattio2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™