grand fountain grass??

tootswisc(z4/5Wi)August 29, 2005

I purchased a very tall fountain grass-I think it had a german name for grand in it's name. It is really tall and grows in clumps. I plan to plant it by my pond. It can grow 10 feet tall or taller. Now I am rethinking things. I have paid for it but it is still at the nursery so I don't have to keep it. I am wondering if it will fall over and look bad. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this grass. Sorry that I can't remember the name!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pezhead

Miscanthus 'giganteus'?? If that's what it is I'd keep it and plant it near the pond. Shouldn't fall over if it's in the sun. If it's not giant Miscanthus I have no idea...anyone else?

Bookmark   August 30, 2005 at 12:56AM
tootswisc(z4/5Wi)

The tag reads Miscantbus sinensis

Bookmark   August 30, 2005 at 11:22PM
donn_(7b-8a)

Toots...whoever printed the tag rounded the "h" over into a "b." It's Miscanthus sinensis 'Grosse Fontane.' My book says it reaches 8' and is hardy to zone 5. You may be on the edge of it's hardiness zone, which means it may not reach full size, and may require winter protection.

Bookmark   August 31, 2005 at 3:05PM
tootswisc(z4/5Wi)

Yeah-I noticed the weird spelling on all three of my clumps. I really hope it can reach 8 feet. I wish I couyld plant but I called diggers hot line and now I can't do it until after the holiday weekend-those guys sound like landscaping police!

Bookmark   August 31, 2005 at 7:58PM
More Discussions
Looking for Pink Muhly grass
Hi Guys, Popped in to see if anyone had pink muhly...
bri_fl
Hakonechloa All Gold looking rough
I have an area of my yard that stays pretty well shaded...
mayflower537
established Pampus grass dead
hi, about 7 years ago i planted Pampas grass, and it...
bella81762
Looking for ornamental grass
Would like to start some ornamental grass plugs or...
mkkram
Purple Majesty Millet from seed?
I grew Purple Magesty Millet for the first time this...
treemedic
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™