Coleus question

shuffles_gwMay 10, 2013

This coleus is in a screen enclosure. Anyone know if it is self pollinating? Could it shed seeds and become a pest? This one used to be more yellow than red.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zzackey(8b GA)

That's a pretty one. I think it is Alabama Sunset. You should cut the flower stems off to make the leaves bigger. It will die after it flowers. Not sure about your other questions. I just know it is a sun coleus. It will take more sun than the old fashioned ones.

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 8:22PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

It will not die after it flowers, it's not a true annual. All it needs to make seeds is to be visited by bees or other insects. It's possible the movement of wind could do that, I don't know. Either way, I can't imagine Coleus sprouts would be so numerous that you would have a problem weeding them, if any showed up at all. Snipping off flower stems that have finished would ensure that no seeds fall on the ground.

How long have you had this plant? Coleus plants change colors depending on exposure.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 9:17AM
shuffles_gw

zackey, thanks. Purple, we've had this plant for a bit more than a year. Someone gave it to us at Lori's last swap. It is well over 3 feet tall now, not counting the flower spikes (which I removed this morning).

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 1:44PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

That's a grand, big Coleus! They're easy to propagate if you'd like to find a spot for some where it turns yellow.

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 8:10AM
More Discussions
Any Plant Sales?
I live in the Holiday Florida area and I went to a...
juttz
Mexican Flame Vine
It is conceivable that I've asked this question here...
wisconsitom
bought a green shell ginger--will I be sorry?
I rescued a green Alpinia zerumbet (not the variegated...
marcia_m
Miami/CoralGables ... 10b meet
Good morning everyone, I just saw Silvia//Oakland/9b...
alexcortez
A mystery plant... Any ideas?
Rescued this plant from a friends house. It's in pretty...
soleil_blume_hooke
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™