Looking for wild passionflower vine.

jgrassMay 14, 2013

I am looking for the location of a stand of wild passionflower vines in Volusia County. Lost mine to drought and haven't been able to any since. Any help appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

A google search shows you are located in east Central Florida. I know Passiflora grows wild all over the United States, so hopefully someone can help you replace your vine.

As a suggestion, Lowe's and Home Depot carry 5-gallon pots of a few Passifloras.

Shipping for a small plant would be $5.85 and these stores are selling nice full-size plants for $15 - might want to check them out.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 6:55AM
shear_stupidity(9B)

Email me your address, I have lots of it!

(I have lots of suberosa)

This post was edited by shear_stupidity on Wed, May 15, 13 at 11:59

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 7:47AM
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake

There are two types that grow wild here, P. incarnata and P. suberosa. I have a feeling you are looking for the P. incarnata as the blooms on P. suberosa are... nothing special, it's just a good host plant for butterflies (I think Julias will use suberosa but won't use incarnata, while Zebra Longwings and Gulf Frits will use both. But I'm no expert). In the case of P. incarnata, it's been fairly easy for me to find while walking along 'wild' trails. One of the best places for it here in Lake County, just west of you, is out on the Sunnyhill Restoration Levee, but I have seen it other places where plants are allowed to grow uninhibited. Corkystem still eludes me in the wild. As Kayjones mentioned, P. incarnata is also often sold at my Lowes and less frequently at Home Depot. Best of luck to you in your search.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 8:11AM
vee78910

My husband pulled this passionflower up from a ditchbank several years ago to feed butterfly caterpillars. We will NEVER be rid of this plant! While we let it grow each summer on our long fencelines, we are constantly pulling up volunteers or just mowing them down. You may want to keep this in mind before taking the plunge. Best to you.......

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 6:25PM
shear_stupidity(9B)

I agree with you, vee. These plants came up out of the canal and under, over, and through the privacy fence. I let it grow on the outside of my fence (because it's still my property) but NOT in my yard. It's not taking over or anything, just not very well-behaved, either. But for butterflies, it's the best!

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 6:40PM
More Discussions
Tomato varieties good from now to early summer?
I am in zone 10A or B—can't quite make out where...
pattybee
crinum flowers
This started blooming just before our expected freeze....
marcia_m
Any Plant Sales?
I live in the Holiday Florida area and I went to a...
juttz
Growing milkweed (A. tuberosa) from seed in Central Fl.
Hi! I'm new here, and I'd like to see if anyone has...
martianpictures
A good firespike replacement?
Two and a half years ago I got some 'blue' (magenta)...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™