eeek, will frozen budded lilacs still bloom?

chrismich213April 7, 2007

well, with a week of below 32 degrees weather, and more cold days to come, what will happen to my lilacs? Have I lost a whole year of flowers? I was able to get my water lilies back into the garage, but I could not catch the goldfish and there is about 2" of ice in my tiny pond. I guess only time will tell, and to think I was gardening in my summer shorts and tee top, only 2 weeks ago. Can anyone remember when we had the latest snow fall in MI over the years. I know its been very cold for Memorial day-wearing winter coats while camping-usually its raining for Memorial day.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thorn_grower(Zone 5)

I'm about 45 min. from detroit on the canadian side between lake st.clair and lake erie, latest snow i remember was 1982 the 1st. week of april. Exactly the same time as this. Had about 6 inches..Woke up to about 1in. this morning.Don't know what will happen to any of the flowering trees.Were lucky things weren't further along, there would be even more damage..mark

Bookmark   April 8, 2007 at 6:20AM
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

My lilacs are toast in Akron, OH. Look at the bush. If the new shoots look limp and "soft" you won't be getting any blooms. They'll re-leaf, but they only get one shot a year at blooming. If they still appear more or less standing straight, even if frozen, they might survive.

Bookmark   April 8, 2007 at 11:51AM
seil zone 6b MI

I don't agree. These plants are hardier than that. Wait and see they'll bloom. My forsythia had opened it's first bloom last Tuesday when it was in the 70's and I thought it was done for. It's been down to 17 and we haven't had a high above freezing since then. The sun came out today and the temp went up to 40 and it opened a half dozen new blooms today. As long as the pond is not frozen solid and there is some free water I'll bet the fish survive too. Make sure you keep a hole broken in the ice each day to keep air flowing.

Bookmark   April 9, 2007 at 7:09PM
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

Lilacs are different though - unlike forsythias, who have THOUSANDS of little flower buds all over, some opening before others, lilacs have 2 - 4 per twig and they expand pretty much at the same time. If they're toast, they're toast.

Bookmark   April 11, 2007 at 1:07PM
madpotter

just came in before the rain hits and the miss kim lilacs look good.....
however the azeleas are so very burnt......... along with my acanthus....
bummer of a spring. Enjoyed my magnolia for about 5 minutes.
yours in dirt......

Bookmark   April 23, 2007 at 12:44PM
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

Actually, the lilacs look OK here. THe leaves have brown edges, but the growth tips survived and with the last few days near 80, have grown a few new "whorls" of leaves that look fine - the flower stalks also appear to be expanding and still colored well, so we might luck out.

Bookmark   April 24, 2007 at 12:49AM
chrismich213

well, my lilacs took fine too. even the short 18" babies that I transplanted last summer are going to bloom. God is generous to us all.

Bookmark   April 26, 2007 at 7:24AM
jgreen8520

Mine seem to be doing ok, this time. I have had them freeze before though and I was sure that mine were toast also. Here in northwestern lower michigan, it got down to 23 and stayed there for a week but they are growing and the buds look good. I'm totally amazed.

Bookmark   May 4, 2007 at 3:30AM
diggerb2(z5oh)

mine bloomed too, but its in the shade until about noon
diggerb

Bookmark   May 10, 2007 at 10:53AM
More Discussions
Transplanting perennials in wintertime (from IL to IN)
I need some advice. I want to transplant many of my...
Tammyellers990
Children's Educational Kickstarter Fundraiser
Hello Everyone- My mother is fundraising for a children's...
Desirae
Michigan in Spring!
At the time of writing this we are under a cover of...
GardenKiwi
Chipmunk Hell
I have chipmunks (that which were extremely cute in...
jennsterm
Alert - SVB season is now underway
In southwest Michigan - first eggs sighted and dealt...
lilyd74
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™