Zebra Grass Runners?

wheeledgardener(z8 NW Oregon)September 5, 2005

In July of 2004 I planted Miscanthus sinensis 'Little Nicky' (dwarf zebra grass). The plant has grown to between 5 and 6 ft. tall but hasn't bloomed yet. A month or two ago I noticed a small clump of grass growing about 3 ft. from the grass I had planted. Now it is nearly 3 ft. tall and has a growth habit and leaves that look very similar to dwarf zebra grass. However, it has no stripes as yet. Does dwarf zebra grass send out runners? If so, will the new plant eventually get its stripes? If it does send out runners, does this happen very often? Is its spread difficult to control? It would be rather inconvenient to have zebra grass popping up in the middle of my other perennials. Has anybody had experience with this?

Thank you for any wisdom you might be able to impart.

Anne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Likely a seedling rather than a runner.

Bookmark   September 5, 2005 at 7:13PM
wheeledgardener(z8 NW Oregon)

It can't be a seedling from the zebra grass because the original plant has never bloomed. I've only had it in the ground since July of the previous year. I'm hoping to see some blossoms for the first time this fall. None of my neighbors have Zebra grass.

Bookmark   September 5, 2005 at 10:29PM
dereks(6 Utah)

I doubt your stray grass is a zebra grass. They don't send out runners, especially 3ft. away. As far as I know all miscanthus sinesis stay strictly in clumps.

Bookmark   September 10, 2005 at 1:16PM
wheeledgardener(z8 NW Oregon)

Jean and Dereks,

Having watched my mystery grass grow for awhile longer, I can see that you are both correct about it not being zebra grass. It is over 3 ft. tall now, and unlike zebra grass, the lower stems and the edges of the blades are red. It has already begun to bloom, while the zebra grass is showing no sign of blooming yet. Also some of its stalks are horizontal rather than upright. I am sure you are correct, Jean, in saying that it must be a seedling (from some other kind of grass). I am happy to hear that Miscanthus sinensis species stay strictly in clumps.

Thank you both for your advice.

Anne

Bookmark   September 11, 2005 at 8:32PM
More Discussions
established Pampus grass dead
hi, about 7 years ago i planted Pampas grass, and it...
bella81762
What type of ornnamental grass is this? Pruning Needed?
1. Curious as to what exact type of Fountain Grass...
bretthickman
Propagation of Nassella laevissima "Golden Hair Grass" from seed?
I posted on this plant back on July 8 in the "Growing...
mark4321_gw
Panicum 'Hot Rod'
Does anyone know where this is available online for...
jscaldwell
Miscanthus blight?
A few months ago I got some Miscanthis Hinjo at Lowes...
summer99
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™