Shady container grasses that overwinter?

fmogul(z6-7 NY)September 27, 2008

I've got two large pots flanking a very shady doorway. We're z6 but pretty well protected, here in the (mostly lowrise) city. I was thinking of combining carex types, since they're among the few grasses reputed to do well in shade, but which ones would go best together?

OG Forum regular achnatherum (who's VERY helpful :-) suggested Hakonechloa sp. & cultivars, which is also a great idea. I've seen it look good in pots just by itself, nice and simple, but I do like to get a few things in there, if possible. What would go well with it?

Anyone know anything about: a) Sesleria , b) phalaris, c) luzula, d) Chasmanthium latifolium Northern Sea Oats?

Extra bonus points If you can suggest something from the following link that's on sale!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Shade & Part-Shade Ornamental Grasses

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grass_guy

I think you have some good suggestions listed. If you're borderline zone 7, you want to find zone 5 grasses to winter over in a container...unless you can give them extra protection.

Phalaris Strawberries and Cream would be a great container selection. Nowhere for it to run. :) Use it by itself not in a mixed container. Zone 4

Chasmanthium isn't often used, but makes a very nice container grass in a shaded location. Zone 4

Both Sesleria autumnalis and cearulea would do well. Zone 4.

I'd recommend Carex Evergold, Carex Kaga Nashiki, & Carex Bowles Golden, all zone 5 and all with great color/variegation. Most of the wiry copper sedges aren't going to be much hardier than zone 6/7. You'd have a tougher time over-wintering those containers.

Bookmark   September 28, 2008 at 8:50AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grass_guy

Here's a picture I found of Chasmanthium in a container at Blustem Nursery. I like it very much, especially used with other containers that provide color.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   September 28, 2008 at 9:04AM
More Discussions
type of grass?
This is such a pretty grass. Everyone asks what it...
bunky
Fall Planting?
I was told that its much better to plant OG in the...
juniemarie46
Purple Majesty Millet from seed?
I grew Purple Magesty Millet for the first time this...
treemedic
Best time to cut grasses back in my zone 9
I recently moved to the San Francisco Peninsula Zone...
kmoodymz3
Beach grasses great online/cataloge companies
We need to landscape our home in a beach community...
dis2cruise
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™