Is it too late for tomatoes to re-grow?

bagsmom(7)September 10, 2009

Hey folks! I am just now getting out to the vegetable bed. All the tomato plants went kaput with some sort of disease. If I cut them back to the ground (or thereabouts) is there time for regrowth and fruiting?

Or should I just pull them up and start again next year?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
satellitehead(z8 ATL Metro)

determinite or indeterminite tomatoes?

if your tomatoes are determinate (die within a known period of time), they're done, kaput, end of season.

if they are indeterminate, then they will live and fruit till the weather kills em off. i've had indeterminate last until mid-january before, up against side of the house where they get lots of heat.

you might get one last little batch if they are indeterminate. the rootstock should be there, which could lead to faster growth. ripen time from flower to ripe fruit is usually 45-60 days on most tomatoes i've grown. YMMV.

Bookmark   September 10, 2009 at 4:54PM
bagsmom(7)

Thanks! The ones I have are indeterminate. Unless we get an early freeze, maybe there will be time for another little crop. I'm sure the squirrels are marking it on their calendars -- "check garden for last tomatoes."

I cut them all back to about a foot above the ground, fertilized, and mounded compost and soil around the base to encourage more root growth.

It's so weird -- the tomatoes got totally sick -- but the peppers and eggplants growing in the same raised beds are going crazy happy!

Bookmark   September 10, 2009 at 7:13PM
cyrus_gardner(8)

Way back in early August I rooted some tomato shoots in water. When they rooted, I planted them in 4" pots. I had more than half a dozen but I only had room fo 3 of them, so planted them in a vacated sopt. Now they have first set of fruits, size of an egg. Some of My other spring tomatoes are stil hanging in there too, but they seem to be tired. Now I have some young blooded tomatoes, healthy and green, over 2ft tall.

Bookmark   September 11, 2009 at 11:13PM
More Discussions
Plumerias
Would anyone like some plumeria trees. I post this...
ricky_23
Pomegranate tree
Will a pomegranate tree grow amd produce fruit in GA?...
natalie4b
Dracaena Massangeana - leaves are turning yellow and then brown!!
Hello, I bought a Dracaena Massangeana plant about...
daniel159
Lake hartwell
Does anyone live on or near the lake? My husband saw...
josephene_gw
Insured Tree Removal Cmp recommendations
Is there a good INSURED & reasonable tree removal...
vnginger
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™