Question about garden tools

gmom74September 22, 2009

I was cleaning up a flower bed where there had been poison ivy- thought I had gotten rid of it but my arms now say differently. The clippers, rake, my 'claw' (don't know what else to call it), and a couple of other things. Would you wash them in soapy water or use alcohol? I know they would have to be dried and oiled. I don't even want to touch them again. Thanks for advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I believe that the Poison Ivy active ingredient is an oil, so I would (usiing gloves) wash items with a detergent (Dawn?), rinse and dry well.

    Bookmark   September 22, 2009 at 11:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Probably a degreaser type cleaner is better to get rid of oils of any kind.
The amount of poisonous oil is not that much. It is our system that react to it. Some of us are more allergic than others.

    Bookmark   September 22, 2009 at 11:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I always use rubbing alcohol. This even works when I accidentally touch it outside, as long as I rub the alcohol on within 10 minutes of touching it. I actually keep a huge bottle in my garden bag for that purpose. I know it works because I've grabbed handfulls and had it in my hand. I throw it in a bag and tie it shut. Then I poor the alcohol on really good. Works like a charm!

    Bookmark   October 5, 2009 at 4:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Well, I don't think I'll be pulling the stuff with my hands but having alcohol to clean the tools with immediately appeals to me. Thanks for the idea.

    Bookmark   October 7, 2009 at 9:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You're welcome! I never intentionally pick it up with my hands, but it somehow seems to hide from me until it's too late!

    Bookmark   October 8, 2009 at 1:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

After a short period of time, the urushiol dries and chemically attaches itself to whatever it's on. Urushiol is similar to many varnishes, and is sometimes used as a varnish. Cleaning with detergent or degreaser may not remove much of the it, and, depending on your degree of allergicness, you may still experience problems. There are chemicals available at the drug store that more effectively remove this stuff.

    Bookmark   October 8, 2009 at 2:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

sorry....please remove the extra "the" before the "it" in my third sentence.

    Bookmark   October 8, 2009 at 2:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Found the information in this link very informative, especially the step of applying isopropyl alcohol before washing with soap.

Rosie, Sugar Hill

Here is a link that might be useful: steps for removing urushiol

    Bookmark   October 11, 2009 at 9:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I keep a spray bottle of alcohol in my tool shed. Use it on the tools when I've been working with plants that have fungus, etc. on my hands, gloves, what ever I feel could spread a disease to other plants.

    Bookmark   October 18, 2009 at 10:44PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
How to prune a too tall crape myrtle?
I recently bought an old house with a potentially great...
how to kill wisteria
anybody have a cheap way to get rid of wisteria or...
Antsy to start my garden in 7a!
Hi y'all.... Is anyone else itching to get things in...
Landscape plant suggestions please Eatonton/Milledgeville, GA
Greetings All, My husband and I have purchased a property...
Atlanta Seed swap
Would anyone be interested in doing an Atlanta seed...
Sponsored Products
Jelly Mocha Fusion Jack Satin Nickel Mini Pendant
$226.80 | Bellacor
Americh Madison Oval 7236 Tub (72" x 36" x 22")
Modern Bathroom
Foscarini | Tropico Sphera Suspension Lamp
Cypree Frost 14-Inch Fusion Jack Bronze Mini Pendant
$174.96 | Bellacor
A-Betta Endurance Saddle - 205105BK
$387.45 | Hayneedle
Personalized Square Cutting Board
$110.00 | FRONTGATE
Americh Barrington 6032 Tub (60" x 32" x 22")
Modern Bathroom
Bare Head Swivel I by LBL Lighting
$80.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™