Had a light frost, harvest now?

MNgardenmanSeptember 13, 2012

There was a little frost on my pickup this morning and it showed 31 so just wondering if I should continue to leave the partially to mostly green pumpkins in the field for a while yet or harvest them. They are predicting lows around 30 for early next week so we could easily drop into the upper 20s and that is my main concern. A lot of the leaves have already went downhill mainly due to dry soil conditions, so what would you do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macmex

That's a tough one. I lack experience with that variety. The Old Timey Cornfield Pumpkin, which I often grow, will color up in storage. But most others will not. If they're in danger of freezing, I'd say, get them inside. But if you can protect them from light frost, and the vines themselves, stay alive, then they can still ripen a bit.

George
Tahlequah, OK

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 11:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MNgardenman

These are the Jack O' Lantern variety. And I checked the leaves tonight that were not already dried up from the drought and were still somewhat green but now they were pretty much all black so there is really nothing left for any leaves out there now.

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 11:32PM
More Discussions
Kirbs Bjela Woda
In 2014 I created my first squash and pumpkins for...
acorneti
Pie off between Baby Blue Hubbard and Winter Luxury Pie Pumpkin
We made pies from both squashes and the family decided...
springtogarden
Please help ID the problem
This year my kabocha bears 5 fruits but one by one,...
otcay
Blue Gyroscope
Cucurbita maxima 'Blue Gyroscope' is a cross with mother...
acorneti
Pumpkins turning yellow/withering
I'm trying to grow some Jarrahdale pumpkins but they...
Straylian
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™