small ornamental tree

stevegaSeptember 15, 2009

I lost a 7' tall Lavender twist redbud in a thunder storm last week. It broke clean 18" above the ground. This was its third year planted. The site is in front of the house, full sun, full exposure, Flowery Branch.

Are redbuds generally brittle and subject to wind damage? I would like about a 15' tall tree, weeping form is nice. Suggestions?

If I go back with another lavander twist I will thin the top growth to reduce top heaviness and sail area. Would forest pansy take full sun and would it also be storm damaged?

I'd appreciate any input, thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

I certainly like Fringetree, Chionanthus virginicus, mature size is stated at 20 feet. Mine is in full sun.

Bookmark   September 15, 2009 at 6:19PM
stevega

Esh, thanks for the good suggestion. It turns out that I had a fringe tree in another bed in front but moved it to the back 2 years ago as part of everchanging design. It is in full sun and doing great.
I think I want something bolder either in color or shape for that area since it competes with KO roses, gardenias,a big holly and pittosporum.

Bookmark   September 16, 2009 at 10:32AM
jeff_al

i like vitex or chaste tree. it is not native but i have not heard of it having invasive traits. they seem to stand out in the garden because of their bloom time. there are white and purple flowered forms but i prefer the purple.
also, 'omurayama' japanese maple is a unique tree in that it is pendulous at maturity rather than weeping. slower growing than a vitex but also has attractive form and fall color. mine is just begining to show the pendulous form at about 5' tall.

Here is a link that might be useful: vitex

Bookmark   September 16, 2009 at 11:17AM
laylaa(7b)

Catalpa bignonioides is one that can be used as a pollard style tree for a more dramatic front yard sort of thing. It's a bit different and has beautiful foliage, flowers. See Catalpa bignonioides. It may be difficult to find but Nearly Natives in Fayetville might have it.

I just started growing vitex this year. I've come to really like it.

Bookmark   September 16, 2009 at 5:54PM
stevega

Jeff and Laylaa, thanks for the great suggestions. I had forgotten about vitex as a small tree. That is the leading candidate now. Catalpa may be a little large and may have some pest/disease issues. Maybe for side or back yard. It is avaiable at Scottsdale Farms (no bargains but good variety)as are vitex.

Bookmark   September 17, 2009 at 10:27AM
More Discussions
Is anyone using rock dust in the garden?
I learned about rock dust a few days ago and I want...
kngskid
Growing on a slope in North Georgia
I live in very N. Georgia. Basically Chattanooga, Tn....
Natdiamond
Dracaena Massangeana - leaves are turning yellow and then brown!!
Hello, I bought a Dracaena Massangeana plant about...
daniel159
Where should I plant a fatsia japonica?
Other than, in a milder climate. I've had it in a pot...
esga
Atlanta Seed swap
Would anyone be interested in doing an Atlanta seed...
planterjeff
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™