Help In Identifying

sunnyk(Z6 SW Coastal CT)September 30, 2012

Any idea what these might be, thought one might be a Spaghetti squash, and the other is growing out of a patch of Trombincino.Any help would be wonderful. Sorry about the black and white. Vith Squashes are dark green in color. Will try to get color pictures soon.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyk(Z6 SW Coastal CT)

Second squash

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 12:18PM
weirdtrev

I can tell you the first is a Cucurbita pepo and the second is a C. moschata (same as tromboncino). Other than that, hard to say what they are. Squash of the same species can cross freely and unless you know the seeds are pure they could be some hybrid and not a named variety. May or may not be of eating quality.

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 4:40PM
sunnyk(Z6 SW Coastal CT)

So if the first one is c.pepo then might it still be a Spaghetti squash? And should I wait for the second one to change color before picking it.Andthanks for the help :-D

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 7:50PM
weirdtrev

Could be, though it looks darker than I am familiar with, maybe it is just the photo. The shape is definitely a spaghetti squash shape.

The second one looks like nothing I've grown. There is someone on here that grows a lot of moschatas hopefully he'll chime in.

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 9:22AM
sunnyk(Z6 SW Coastal CT)

Your right, it's dark green and no color I have ever seen in Spaghetti squash....but I keep hoping hahaha.

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 12:43PM
farmerdill

There are several C. moschata types coming out of Taiwan that are papaya shape. Phoenix, Fairy, Papaya Golden,Papaya Sweet

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 4:12PM
More Discussions
Squash varities
Hi! I've never cared much for squash, mostly due to...
HollowOakFarm
This year's winter squash winners and losers
This year I tried the following C Maxima squashes....
tcstoehr
Palav Kadoo
Cucurbita moschata 'Palav Kadoo' was developed in central...
acorneti
More phloem for more transportation of assimilates
http://environment.harvard.edu/news/faculty-news/biggest-ever-fruit-world-0 Here...
acorneti
Pie off between Baby Blue Hubbard and Winter Luxury Pie Pumpkin
We made pies from both squashes and the family decided...
springtogarden
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™