Is it too late to start collard greens from seed?

frannyflowers(7b Marietta, GA)September 27, 2010

I was waiting for it to cool down a bit before starting my seeds but now it seems it went from 90's to 70's overnight. Is it too cool/too late to start collards from seed at this point? Also can I plant any other crops at this point to harvest over the winter. I have a frost blanket that I use when it drops below freezing.

Thanks for any advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roswell_organic

Not sure about collards from seed, I started mine a long time back and put them on the ground 2 weeks ago (probably too early).
You can still start carrots, beets, lettuce for sure. I also think Kale and swiss chard would be ok, but I start those inside and transplant.
Hope some others chime in as I am still trying to figure out timing for fall crops. It is so hard with our swings of cool and hot weather at this time of the year :-)

Bookmark   September 27, 2010 at 12:34PM
farmerdilla

Probably too late for them to get any size, before they bolt in late winter. However, plenty of time to set plants which should be readily available at local nurseries. Still time for kale, mustard, turnips, spinach, radishes etc from seed. Don't grow chard so I can't answer for that one.

Bookmark   September 27, 2010 at 1:02PM
lrvjim(7 to 8)

I think it's to late for collards from seed. I usually sow collard seed the 2nd week in August. This works OK, as long as you can water during the dry spells. Starting early, they should last through the winter and early spring, although they do toughen up a little bit.

Bookmark   September 29, 2010 at 8:05AM
frannyflowers(7b Marietta, GA)

Thanks everyone for your helpful posts. I think I'll go ahead and pick up collard plants for this year and will try to remember to get the seeds started in August next year. I'll also try to start some carrot, beet, lettuce, kale, mustard, turnip and radish from seed and see how they do.

Thanks again! :)

Bookmark   October 4, 2010 at 10:45AM
xcel(8)

I have Georgia Collard Greens that I brought from Walmart & I have some that I planted from seeds. I picked up the ones from Walmart in early september & I sowed the seeds around the same time. The seeds are going in the garage for the winter garden.. The Collards I planted last year survived the snow & is still growing. they slowed down in the summer but they are starting to pick up again.

Bookmark   October 4, 2010 at 9:12PM
More Discussions
Growing on a slope in North Georgia
I live in very N. Georgia. Basically Chattanooga, Tn....
Natdiamond
pomegranates
UGA's website said that most named pomegranates do...
esthermgr
have: have: composted horse manure
I have composted horse manure on my farm, looking to...
horsecompost
Georgia (Piedmont region) - new NABA chapter
To all butterfly enthusiasts in Georgia: The North...
memays
Is anyone using rock dust in the garden?
I learned about rock dust a few days ago and I want...
kngskid
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™