Cobb County Compost

nyc_sod(z7 Marietta)September 20, 2007

Anyone ever pick up free compost from the Cobb County Compost facility?

How was the quality of the compost?

How did you load the compost?

Thanks!

T

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dredawg5000(7)

Yes, I have used quite a bit of it. The quality is very good, its fine compost that has been sifted, although you will find the occasional tiny piece of plastic. I does has a mild, but not overpowering manure odor that dissipates within a day or two.

You must load yourself. I used a shovel and heavy-duty lawn bags and loaded the bags in the trunk of my Honda Accord.....and its a dusty job. Many people simply back their pickup to the pile and start shoveling.

Most importantly....ITS FREE....ALL U CAN HAUL!!!! and you can make multiple trips.

Bookmark   September 20, 2007 at 7:26PM
Sharon4457

I had read somewhere that you have to be a resident of Cobb Co. to access the compost. Is that true? Do they require proof?

Bookmark   September 20, 2007 at 8:13PM
tulipsorbust

I've been interested in that compost too - but I'm concerned about soil-borne pathogens. I tried one time to figure out how they 'compost' it - but no luck. Is it foolish to be worried about viruses, nematodes, etc in the compost?

Bookmark   September 20, 2007 at 9:08PM
dredawg5000(7)

Yes, your "suppose" to be a resident of Cobb County, however, they NEVER check. In fact, you don't even have to ask/check-in, you simply pull up to the pile and start loading. Only commercial landscapers have to check in because the use large equipment to load huge truck with the compost and they have to pay for it.

LOL....viruses, nematodes...don't be silly....check out http://solidwaste.cobbcountyga.gov/compost.htm

Bookmark   September 22, 2007 at 7:33PM
nyc_sod(z7 Marietta)

I went to pick up some free compost this past weekend and here are my thoughts.

The pile that looked most like finished compost had an overpowering smell of manure. In addition to the smell the swarm of flies confirmed that this pile was still had a way to go. There was no way I was going to pile any of this in my truck.

There were two smaller piles but these piles had very large chunks of wood. I would not consider this compost maybe a poor quality mulch at best.

YMMV

Tom

Bookmark   October 19, 2007 at 8:54AM
dberisford(7)

Where is this composting place?

Bookmark   April 19, 2009 at 8:50PM
cyrus_gardner(8)

Probably the compost is stil raw and perhaps they have added manure to it to speed up the process. But that shouldn't be a big problem if you are loading into a pick up truck.
Bring it home, dump it in full sun, spread it a little, and mayb turn it over once or twice. This will help to get rid of the smell and also destroy some fungi and other bugs etc.

Can somebody tell us what the address is?
Thanks

Bookmark   April 19, 2009 at 10:39PM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

Google is your friend! You can find anything there!! See link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Cobb County Compost facilitly page

Bookmark   April 20, 2009 at 11:01AM
cyrus_gardner(8)

Thanks for the link.

As I gather, what they have is garbage not compost made from leaves, garden clippings etc. In addition to residential garbage they also add sewer sluge. Yak!

I am not an organic freak but I won't put processed garbage in my vegetable garden.

Bookmark   April 20, 2009 at 10:08PM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

I do not use our county compost in my veggie garden either. Sometimes I find pieces of ground up plastic bags and stuff. Good stuff for areas you don't eat out of!

Bookmark   April 21, 2009 at 12:31AM
More Discussions
Where to find African Violets in Atlanta
Does anyone that uses this forum know a nursery in...
frankielynnsie
Plumerias
Would anyone like some plumeria trees. I post this...
ricky_23
N. Ga. Mountain region
We've purchased a home with what appear to be 6 established...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
free partially bags of fertilizer, lime, etc.
Can't move these. I have partial bags of fertilizer,...
Tricia
Pomegranate tree
Will a pomegranate tree grow amd produce fruit in GA?...
natalie4b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™