Road Side Planting

bumpkinpatchApril 8, 2007

I'm on a country road, facing north, and am looking for tree suggestions for road side planting - partly for wind break, partly for privacy. I'm considering blue spruce, but have read about disease problems. I understand road salt and cedar don't mix very well either. Any other suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pondwelr(z5 WI)

Our previous country road dwelling was north facing too.
The old owners had installed a hedge of current bushes and a cedar tree at each driveway entrance. (it was a half circle drive, so had two entrys) Even tho the plantings were barely legal in that they were partly on county owned right-of-way, they survived the salt and snow loads very well. In the States, depending on the 'class' of the country road, the county or town owns x number of feet from the center of the road bed, often into what homeowners consider their lawn. Anyway, we removed the hedge eventually, and my husband labored away building a stone wall, dry stacked. We learned the set back laws and installed the wall further away from the road. It was a labor of love for him and that wall will be standing 100 years from now. Truly a thing of beauty! Behind the wall we planted a varied mix of evergreen, white birch and Hickory.
So what I meant to say before rambling on, the cedars did just fine and the currents did too.
Pondy

Bookmark   April 25, 2007 at 5:50PM
More Discussions
So anyone growing Virginia Bluebells?
Or more properly known as Mertensia virginica? If so,...
paul_
blushing bride
Does anyone have any suggestions why my blushing brides...
hoovie
quality nurseries in ne ind/nw ill
especially along the US 30 corridor between Merrillville...
mrgpag
Transplanting perennials in wintertime (from IL to IN)
I need some advice. I want to transplant many of my...
Tammyellers990
Any mushroom compost near Chicago?
Hi- I live in Evanston, and I have a garden in one...
nfriday
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™