Why is my grass growing so slow?

katrina_ellenSeptember 4, 2012

I planted blue oatgrass and some sedge grass almost two years ago. I bought them from a nursery and they were smaller size plants at the time. They get full sun and the sedge I water at least once a week, the blue oatgrass I water once a week when its super hot. I put the blue oatgrass into the native soil, the sedge I amended with a richer soil. I believe they are both cool weather grasses, so they have had two seasons so far of cool weather, this fall will be the 3rd. They are not much bigger than when I planted them. Is this normal for grasses? Thanks for any responses!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

In your zone, cool season grasses and sedges (sedges are not grasses) have two short growing seasons per year; spring and fall. They are semi-dormant in winter and summer.

I would expect them to be a little bit larger after two full years, but they really don't start to pop until that third year.

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 3:52PM
katrina_ellen

Thanks donn, I thought I had remembered reading that on this site, but wasn't sure. I didn't know sedge was not a grass, thanks.

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 8:17AM
pink_petals(z6 PA)

Katrina, your post reminded me of a saying I heard once about ornamental grasses: the first year they sleep, the second year they creep, and the third year they leap. So, just be patient a little longer :)

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 7:01PM
More Discussions
Can anyone ID the plant
I saw a beautiful grass outside a mall. Does anyone...
Chipeony
established Pampus grass dead
hi, about 7 years ago i planted Pampas grass, and it...
bella81762
Looking for ornamental grass
Would like to start some ornamental grass plugs or...
mkkram
How to maintain this ornemental grass
We have quite a few of these ornamental grasses at...
bgaviator
Plant identification
Could anyone identify what this grass name is
nancy0852
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™