Overwintering pennesetum setaceum???

Lori_MA(5b,6a)September 7, 2005

I'm new to OG's, but love how they look. I have two pennesetum setaceum rubrum in gallon containers. This OG is for Zone 9, not 5-6 where I live. I plan to bring them in the house when it starts to get below 40 degrees. Should I cut them back now and put them in a cool place or should I leave them tall in a window until next spring? Thanks for any suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

To the best of my knowledge, no one has been able to overwinter this (Purple Fountain Grass) unless they were in a green house. Many of my friends, and I have tried to bring them indoors to keep in the light but they died. We also tried to keep it in a cool cellar and let it go dormant but it died. Your best bet, as I do and most of my friends do, is to treat it like an annual and replace it from the green house.

Sorry for the depressing news, but I use my valuable space with things I know will come back.

Bookmark   September 8, 2005 at 6:15PM
pam_aa(z5 Berwyn Il.)

Like I stated in another forum, I have over wintered purple fountain grass pretty successfully. I dig it up, cut it way back, and divide it. I pot up quart size pieces and put them in a cool basement under lights before mid Oct. Keep on the dry side. They grow fairly slowly (maybe a hair cut or two) until they are brought to warmer temps. I bet they would be ok in cool (30-40F) dormant situation too if they are cut back and kept mostly dry.

Bookmark   September 26, 2005 at 4:04PM
lynnencfan(7b/8aNC)

I am in zone 7b/8a in NC and have it in a pot. It is considered an annual here also but I am going to experiment with it this year and try and keep it over the winter in an unheated garage and protect it when temps go below freezing.

Bookmark   October 13, 2005 at 11:28PM
monkeydo56(z8/Fort Worth)

I just bought this gorgeous grass two days ago at the local HD. I thought it was perennial in my zone per the HD worker. I guess she was wrong per all the postings on this site. SOOOOOO....should I just leave them in their store-bought containers (quart-size) and try them in the garage for overwintering with a couple of light waterings to keep the roots from drying out? Has ANYONE had any success with this method from my zone?

Bookmark   October 18, 2005 at 8:13PM
More Discussions
Miscanthus blight?
A few months ago I got some Miscanthis Hinjo at Lowes...
summer99
What grass is this??
Hi all, does anybody recognize this grass (the big...
linda21h
Pink Muhly Grass Doesn't Bloom
I have 2 pink muhly grass plants. They are about 3...
AnnP603
established Pampus grass dead
hi, about 7 years ago i planted Pampas grass, and it...
bella81762
Starting Miscanthus grass from seed
Wanting to know if it's possible for us to sow some...
candicenovitzke
Sponsored Products
Rectangle Lechuza Balconera Cottage Self-Watering Resin Planter with Optional Br
$49.99 | Hayneedle
Rectangle Lechuza Balconera Cottage Self-Watering Resin Planter - 15602
$49.99 | Hayneedle
Rectangle Lechuza Trio Cottage 30 Self-Watering Resin Planter - 15000
$219.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™