Freeze Warning - what can I do?

wartywhiteSeptember 13, 2011

So we have a freeze warning Wed night into Thursday morning this week w/ temps b/w 28 and 35 degrees - is what they're listing right now. I've googled how this will affect my gourds/pumpkins and vines but still not finding any conclusive advice as to what I can really do, if anything. Basically should I harvest what I already have ripe or not? These temps don't sound too low, would you take the chance and leave them on?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrybull

cover them with old sheets or blankets. in the morning uncover when it warms up. i have to do it every year.

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 5:51PM
weirdtrev

If you can get to what is ripe you absolutely should pick it, and I'd say that whether or not a freeze was coming. Then yes use blankets or something to cover the vines and wish them the best, that is more than cold enough to kill the plants.

Bookmark   September 14, 2011 at 9:12AM
wartywhite

Thanks so much guys for your responses. I really do appreciate it, the kids (and myself) will be devestated we've coddled these vines so much since we've found them:(

I harvested 14 last night that were finger nail tested and as hard as cement but I have 26 more out there that were big, but still a bit juicy when I did the test so I assume I leave these on? Can't wait for tomorrow morning to see what happened overnight.

Bookmark   September 14, 2011 at 2:27PM
More Discussions
New England Orange Hubbard Pumpkin
When a New England Blue Hubbard Squash is pollinated...
acorneti
New Blue Banana
Guatemala and other blue banana squash fruits are known...
acorneti
Pie off between Baby Blue Hubbard and Winter Luxury Pie Pumpkin
We made pies from both squashes and the family decided...
springtogarden
Squash varities
Hi! I've never cared much for squash, mostly due to...
HollowOakFarm
wanted: seeds from a large pumpkin
My daughter would like to grow a giant pumpkin next...
hosta_miser
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™