Jack be Little pumpkins

geekstuffSeptember 13, 2013

Hello, I am interested in trying these little guys next year. my problem is if I dig a hole for every thing i wanted to take a crack at growing, I wouldnt have much lawn to mow. I was wondering if it was possible to train Jack be Little pumpkins up a chicken wire fence and grow them vertically. My personal concern is, I know that normal pumpkin plants reroot them selves as they run and I was unsure if using this approach on the little guys would inhibit growth?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weirdtrev

I grow them on trellises all the time. It creates a more uniform in color pumpkin since they aren't sitting on the ground. They are also less likely to rot being off the ground. However because they can't reroot they are more prone to squash vine borers and could be a smaller overall plant. If you have limited space, then by all means grow them on a trellis.

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 9:58AM
bobb_2002(Z6 S.W. CT)

I grow mine on a fence but I also train them so they loop back to the ground in a couple of places. They will root if they are covered with a little soil and are more tolerant of stem damage from borers.

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 11:14PM
girlbug2(z9/10, Sunset zone 24)

Grown JBL on a chicken wire fence twice now. Perfect. Go for it.

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 9:20AM
geekstuff

Thank you for the posts. I am getting excited. Growing season is almost on us. I will be starting my seeds within the next week and I am definately going to go with the chicken wire fence. I also got some fantastic help for growing the nmonster pumpkins on this site and cant wait to put them into practice

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 9:25AM
More Discussions
Best way to weatherproof birdhouse gourd?
I made some birdhouses from gourds 2 years ago. Made...
sandlady
Will this ever result in an actual pumpkin?
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie. I experimented with planting...
stephiepoopy
Lloyd-ellipsoid
It's hard to grow C. moschata in hardiness Zone 6,...
acorneti
? for birdhouse gourd expert growers
Just for giggles I bought a $2 pack of birdhouse gourd...
donnywayne1
Please help ID the problem
This year my kabocha bears 5 fruits but one by one,...
otcay
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™