What are your favorite fall crops?

ally99September 3, 2011

Hey everyone! I'm looking for some new ideas for a fall garden. It will only be my 2nd year growing veggies in autumn. Last year I had great success with snap beans. I have 50 plants in the ground that are flourishing beautifully, even with the heat we've been having! I need to figure out what to plant in the other half of my garden and when is the best time to plant it. :) What are you all planting for your fall crops and when will you plant them? Thanks! Allyson

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenbrier517(8)

I recommend that you set out a few rows of turnips. They are easy to start from seed and require very little attention. I plant the seeds thicker than necessary just in case some don't emerge which usually results in heavy thinning. Turnip greens are known for their bitterness but exposure to frost will make them a bit sweeter(less bitter). The turnip also provides you with a tasty root that can be cooked along with your greens. My favorite variety to plant is the classic "Purple Top�� as it provides good sized roots as well as ample greens. If you only like simply greens, then other cultivars are best suited for vigorous leaf production.

You may also want to try collards or mustard greens.

Enjoy!

Bookmark   September 8, 2011 at 5:18PM
greenbrier517(8)

Below, I listed a link to a informative website. It has the different cultivars listed as well as instructions for growing turnips. You can find information on many other Georgia crops as well.

Happy Gardening!

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetable Gardening Info

Bookmark   September 8, 2011 at 5:47PM
frannyflowers(7b Marietta, GA)

Hi Allyson, thanks for the reminder! I always wait too long to get planting. Here's another link that might be helpful:

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetable Planting Chart

Bookmark   September 9, 2011 at 7:43PM
mairenn(7-8 GA)

Sitting here going through my seed packets:) In this order: 7-Top Turnip, Tender Green collards, rutabaga, Sparkler radishes, English peas, nasturtium, calendula, lettuce, carrots, spinach, chard and chervil. I'll be starting parsley too, but I'm out of seed right now. Still a little warm for evening stock, might be a little late for coles but I'll probably try it anyway.

It might be early for the spinach and peas, but they'll be in part shade until leaf drop:)

Bookmark   September 11, 2011 at 4:30PM
ally99

I forgot to post a thank you to you all for your responses and links. GREAT info! :) Thank you so much!

Bookmark   October 15, 2011 at 8:52PM
More Discussions
Where should I plant a fatsia japonica?
Other than, in a milder climate. I've had it in a pot...
esga
Atlanta Seed swap
Would anyone be interested in doing an Atlanta seed...
planterjeff
Landscape plant suggestions please Eatonton/Milledgeville, GA
Greetings All, My husband and I have purchased a property...
motherofdog
Georgia (Piedmont region) - new NABA chapter
To all butterfly enthusiasts in Georgia: The North...
memays
Lake hartwell
Does anyone live on or near the lake? My husband saw...
josephene_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™