grass on hill

brorag(Z6WNC)September 5, 2005

I'm on a hill facing just South of East in zone 6, with some shade in the AM, but sunny from late AM thru about 4PM. The hill covers about 3/4 acre. Elevation is about 2800'.

I would like to plant some ornamental grasses native to this area, that would control erosion. One type I've seen are clumps of grass along sides of roads that appear to have been planted, and grow to about 2' high and are now growing seeds.

Any suggestions?

John Dellinger

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pezhead

Rick Darke's Color Encyclopedia of Ornamental Grasses shows a nice photo of a hillside at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville NC planted entirely with Panicum virgatum. How about that for a choice? I don't know much about acquiring plugs or sowing from seed...could get expensive to plant 3/4 acre like that?

You could be seeing Panicum virgatum clumps along roads in that area I believe. But then I'm in Oregon and don't know for sure :->

Bookmark   September 10, 2005 at 12:19AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BruMeta(z5aNY)

Plugs (and field-grown clumps) of many OG species and cultivars can be obtained from Bluestem Nursery, who are reputable, reliable and in BC, Canada. They are sold out of most stock for 2005, though.

I've seen the planting pezhead mentions, so Panicum is a possibility for your area. Panicum virgatum, native to E. North America, grows taller than 2 ft., but you should look into it. For other grasses indigenous to NC, check out one of your state's agricultural or horticultural sites.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluestem

Bookmark   September 11, 2005 at 11:07PM
More Discussions
Pink Muhly Grass Doesn't Bloom
I have 2 pink muhly grass plants. They are about 3...
AnnP603
Plant identification
Could anyone identify what this grass name is
nancy0852
Link to picture of grasses?
Does anyone know a link where I can see what kind of...
tiver43809
Looking for Pink Muhly grass
Hi Guys, Popped in to see if anyone had pink muhly...
bri_fl
Feather Reed Grass for East facing wall
I've been pulling what's left of my hair out over this...
srmacy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™