Straw Bale Gardening for veggies

amykaywatMay 15, 2006

I have decided to try gardening this year on straw bales. It will be my first vegetable garden on my own, and since we just bought the house last year, I would have had to build new raised beds or dig the whole garden on my own from scratch this year. With straw bales, I can skip all that and go straight to planting as soon as the bales have ripened. It's all an experiment so far, but I'll let you know how things go.

I also have beds in the ground for broccoli, asparagus, beets, carrots, Great Lakes head-lettuce, and Horseradish. The broccoli and lettuce were planted before I decided to try the straw bales.

On the bales, I've planted zucchini, yellow squash, peas, tomatos, bush beans, spinach, and leaf lettuce. I also will be planting several varieties of peppers as soon as some more bales ripen for them - I've started the pepper seeds indoors in peat pots so I don't have to wait for germination.

If everything goes extremely well, I should be harvesting by mid-to-late July!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zarine(Z6 Mich)

What do you mean by ripen? i've heard of straw bale planting, but don't know what you mean??

Bookmark   May 16, 2006 at 3:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amykaywat

Sorry, I only meant that when the bales 'ripen,' they've rotted sufficiently to start giving up their nutrients to what's planted in them.

Bookmark   May 19, 2006 at 9:37AM
More Discussions
New construction - tree choices
Hi there, So we have a 1.5 acre lot that I'd like to...
BeccaMI
Calandrinia
Anyone in Michigan ever grow this? I am wondering if...
lilyd74
Staghorn Sumac
I would like to try transplanting some small sumac...
wendy2shoes
Blueberries - To Stay in Decorative Pot Or Planted in Garden?
I was given a pot with three varieties of blueberry...
dllfb
Children's Educational Kickstarter Fundraiser
Hello Everyone- My mother is fundraising for a children's...
Desirae
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™