Brown turkey fig question

rosajoe_gw(8)September 29, 2013

Last year my fig tree had a lot of figs, but they did not ripen. This year they have not ripened and it looks like I have more just starting.

I have researched and I found that they may take several years to get the cycle correct, but is it too late for them to ripen now???

We had so much rain for months and the tree was not happy about it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alex_7b(7b/8a)

Are you sure none have ripened? When my first crop came out in the spring (Breba), I believed the same until one Saturday when I saw Cardinals flying into the small tree. I then realized that as soon as the figs began to turn yellow, the birds were eating them.
When the larger crop was produced this summer, I was able to get some ripe fruit because the tree produced more than the birds could eat. We ate a lot and the past week or so I've left the remaining ones for the birds and wasps.
Hopefully, yours is NOT planted near your house because figs DO attract wasps.

Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 7:59AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosajoe_gw(8)

Thank you Alex,
The first one that did ripen was delicious and then the next one disappeared. At first I thought birds, but now I'm sure it is squirrels.

I have had about 6 to ripen and the others (the tree produced a lot!) have just stayed green and small.

At least it's better than last year and I think next year I will have figs to eat YAH!!!!!!

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 4:33PM
More Discussions
Pomegranate tree
Will a pomegranate tree grow amd produce fruit in GA?...
natalie4b
Growing on a slope in North Georgia
I live in very N. Georgia. Basically Chattanooga, Tn....
Natdiamond
Shade Garden Ideas Help
I am renting a townhouse that has a 4X4 foot square...
jerseygarden123
Lake hartwell
Does anyone live on or near the lake? My husband saw...
josephene_gw
Getting completely rid of invasive vines
Is this possible? We moved in to an extremely neglected...
suwannee75
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™