Mold on my Pumpkins

mountain-sprite1(8b)September 29, 2009

I have this white powdery looking stuff on one of my pumpkin plants. It looks like mold. How do I get rid of it? I think it's spreading to my other plants. I only water my pumpkins at the roots and the mountains are very dry, so I don't know how they got it. They were fine until a week ago.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cyrus_gardner(8)

Well, at this pont in time it will not make much difference anyway. The pumpkins/gourds/squash season is almost over.
Or at least how it is here at zone 8 GA. We are having night lows of around 45F.

What you have described is "Powder Mildew", which is fungus.
You are lucky that did not get it earlier. A lot of pumpkins become suseptible to this disease whe they get old. By now probably your pumpkins are fully grown and will need minimal help from the mother vine.
I do not have pumpkins but I do have quite a bit of gourds.
Most of the vines are either dead or dying.

Bookmark   September 30, 2009 at 8:18PM
binkalette(Minnesota)

Mine got hit with the mildew a week or so ago too.. My vines were already starting to dry on their own though so it was fine.. Just be sure not to till your vines under this year as I've heard the mildew will live in the soil then.. I pulled all of mine and tossed them into the garbage.

Also, once your pumpkins start to turn orange at the base, you can go ahead and pick them as they will continue to ripen off the vine.

Bookmark   October 1, 2009 at 1:44PM
mountain-sprite1(8b)

Thanks for the info guys. I discovered that I'm not in zone 8b (asked the local nurseryman.) I'm actually in zone 3b-4. They use the Sunset Garden Book to determine that. Just clearing that up first. I will change my profile directly.

As for the pumpkins. I never got any on my vines. I think I may have planted too late in the season as the vines just started to really take off last month. I talked with my neighbors who grew gardens this year too, and they said they got powdery mildew on some of their vegetables too. Hmmm... Anyway thanks for getting back to me :)

Bookmark   October 5, 2009 at 12:23AM
More Discussions
Kirbs Bjela Woda
In 2014 I created my first squash and pumpkins for...
acorneti
Best way to weatherproof birdhouse gourd?
I made some birdhouses from gourds 2 years ago. Made...
sandlady
More phloem for more transportation of assimilates
http://environment.harvard.edu/news/faculty-news/biggest-ever-fruit-world-0 Here...
acorneti
HAVE: Round Robin SquashSwap
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roundrobin/msg011538403422.html?6...
fresc1000
Palav Kadoo
Cucurbita moschata 'Palav Kadoo' was developed in central...
acorneti
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™