Will fascue tolerate lime?

clarendonSeptember 28, 2010

Hi!

This forum is very helpful for me. I am making a rock garden and need a lot of help!

I am using limestones and want to plant blue fascue. The plant label says they like acid soil, but lime is alkaline. I will mix in peat to make the soil acidic, but am concerned about the lime, especially because I will mulch the garden with lime stone chippings. Will Fascue tolerate lime?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

Blue Fescue (Festuca glauca) prefers neutral pH, 6.5-7.0, but is tolerant of a wider range.

Get a pH test kit if you are concerned your soil may be too alkaline. If you are mulching with limestone gravel, I strongly encourage thoroughly rinsing it first. It will likely be covered with limestone dust.

Bookmark   September 29, 2010 at 6:12AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
clarendon

Thanks, donn. I was going to give fascues the standard rockery soil, with peat and sand. But if they prefer neutral soil, perhpas peat is not good for them?

Could you tell me what the ideal soil mix is for fascues? Do they prefer poor soil than fertile one like carex testacea? Then perhaps I should just give them garden soil mixed with sand.

Bookmark   September 30, 2010 at 2:24AM
More Discussions
Pink Muhly Grass Doesn't Bloom
I have 2 pink muhly grass plants. They are about 3...
AnnP603
Link to picture of grasses?
Does anyone know a link where I can see what kind of...
tiver43809
Miscanthus sinensis Advice
Hello, I want to plant some Miscanthus grass on the...
nick0001
Looking for Pink Muhly grass
Hi Guys, Popped in to see if anyone had pink muhly...
bri_fl
Beach grasses great online/cataloge companies
We need to landscape our home in a beach community...
dis2cruise
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™