Columbines

poolia(6)May 11, 2013

Getting ready to move to the LakeCity, FL area from KY. Been a hard core gardnener for 30+ years - cottage style. I plan to move with me the plants that will do well in my new zone. One that seems iffy is my columbines - one of my favorite plants. Apparently they just go to zone 8. Does anyone have luck growing them in my new zone? I can't determine if they must have a cool period or if they can't stand the summer heat. Here they bloom in early May and we get 90 degrees July and August and they do fine in partial shade - no mid day sun. Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

Unfortunately, they don't do well in our zone - they require 900+ chill hours to come back from dormancy and we only get 700. I miss growing them, too!

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 8:03AM
marly42

Please don't give up on your columbines. I have grown mine in pots here 20 miles west of Daytona for over 5 years. I have not tried to have them in the ground yet..I trim them back and they are lovely every year. I have shared many, and they are doing well also.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 10:03AM
loufloralcityz9

Columbines planted in the ground will not get enough 'chill hours' down to the root zone as the cold does not penetrate very far into the soil, but planted in pots they most often will get the required chill hours to the root zone and do just fine. Growing plants in Florida is a challenge and you must use your ingenuity to fool mother nature. If there's a will, there's a way, you just have to discover what will work for the specific plant.

Lou

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 10:51AM
poolia(6)

Thank you for your replies. I sort of thought about the pot method. Thanks for letting me know it may work

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 8:52PM
aharriedmom(8B FL Sunset 28)

I found a "double winky" columbine and brought it home a few weeks ago. It was a sad clearance plant, but I cut it back some and it's blooming again. I have put it in an area that gets morning sun and then a deep shade because I was afraid the summer heat will be too much for it. I didn't have too much hope for it when I got it, but I had to try.

If it survives the summer, I'll be sure to [try to remember to] put it in a pot for the winter to try to get it to come back next year.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 8:56AM
More Discussions
Callisia Repens is killing my lawn
Hi all, I bought a house a couple of years ago, with...
oldmangroot
Anyone have a azalea (coronado red)?
I picked up a couple at Home Depot yesterday (yes...
Debo214
Questions on Coffee Grounds
A friend of mine told me her neighbor suggested she...
manature
Speaking of Coffee
I was watching an episode of Gardening Australia the...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
Plant ID for North-Central Florida
Sorry for the bad pic. The camera lens fogged up a...
xentar_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™