sand and salt and sun (and ornamental grasses?)

GSchoenfeld(z6 ny,)September 18, 2005

I just bought a house on Coney Island, 2 blocks from the Atlantic Ocean, with a long, narrow backyard, 20' x 50'. The soil is extremely sandy, probably quite salty, and exposed to bright sunlight most of the day; the only shade is from two wooden fences, 6' high, on both sides of the property. I am planning to put a flagstone patio and path down, and am also looking for other things to plant, including a ground cover. I love ornamental grasses, however I am not sure how they will do in these conditions, and I also am eager to find out which ones would be good as handsome specimens and which ones might serve as a ground cover. Any comments or suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Bluestem Nursery provides listings of OG's for specific landscaping conditions, including sun/shade, drought or salt tolerance, height etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluestem Nursery

Bookmark   September 19, 2005 at 7:50AM
donn_(7b-8a)

OG's will do great in your space. Chances are, there's no salt in your soil, as salt is highly soluble, and would be washed out by rain. Salt air is another thing entirely, and I've found that most plants tolerate it just fine. I live beside a saltwater canal, and grow all sorts of grasses and other perennials with no problem.

Bookmark   September 20, 2005 at 6:06AM
PollyNY(z5NY)

I doubt, also, that your soil will be salty. We are on sand here, in some areas of our yard, by our creek it's almost like play sand. Ornamental Grasses do wonderfully, and I never amend the soil for them. Go for it. I like the miscanthus for specimens. Polly

Bookmark   September 22, 2005 at 4:47PM
More Discussions
How to maintain this ornemental grass
We have quite a few of these ornamental grasses at...
bgaviator
What type of ornnamental grass is this? Pruning Needed?
1. Curious as to what exact type of Fountain Grass...
bretthickman
Pennisetum Advena/Setaceum Rubrum
Hi. I recently fell in love with the above grasses...
kaydarling
type of grass?
This is such a pretty grass. Everyone asks what it...
bunky
Looking for ornamental grass
Would like to start some ornamental grass plugs or...
mkkram
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™