edible palm fruit?

esthermgrSeptember 19, 2009

Help! I want to eat something enticing and I have no idea if it will kill me!

We have a smallish palm tree in our back yard, about 12 ft, with the kind of fronds that start low and grow all the way up, not hte kind with the long tall bare stem. It has made large clusters of yellow fruit that smells like apricots and apples and looks delicious. I just caught on that it might be edible. Most of it is on the ground now, but before I let the rest go to waste I want to know- does anybody have any idea about whether this is edible? I looked online and to me it looks a bit like a Brazilian jelly palm. Is anyone else growing a palm tree in Georgia (Atlanta area) that they eat from?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidcf(7 GA)

You probably have a Pindo Palm (Butia capitata), which has big marble sized orange fruit. Pindo Palm fruit is indeed edible - also known as Jelly Palm since the fruit is sometimes used for that purpose. Yours would be the first fruiting Pindo Palm I've heard of in Atlanta. In fact I have never seen a mature, established, fruiting Pindo Palm in the northern half of Georgia. Enjoy while it lasts.

Bookmark   September 20, 2009 at 11:13AM
cyrus_gardner(8)

Go ahead and Google search "pindo palm fruit" and see that is what you've got as David suggested. Check the images too.
Ther is a lot of info on it.

Bookmark   September 22, 2009 at 11:24PM
esthermgr

I think that might be what I've got. Just can't quite tell. Those fruits sure smelled good, though. I think next year I'll risk it and eat one adn see what happens.

Bookmark   September 28, 2009 at 9:57AM
More Discussions
FREE lime tree in pot (Atlanta/Buckhead)
Free to good home -- you must know how to care for...
alison234
Growing on a slope in North Georgia
I live in very N. Georgia. Basically Chattanooga, Tn....
Natdiamond
Georgia (Piedmont region) - new NABA chapter
To all butterfly enthusiasts in Georgia: The North...
memays
pomegranates
UGA's website said that most named pomegranates do...
esthermgr
Native shade plant recommendations
I live just north of Atlanta and am looking for recommendations...
atrox
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™