Hakone 'Nicolas'

pink_petals(z6 PA)September 13, 2012

Does anyone out there have this variety of Hakone grass that actually IS the beautiful orange-red color that is shown in the pictures of gardening catalogs? I've only been able to read about 5 gardener's experiences with it, and they've said that either the grass stayed green , or it barely turned color, though some did say their plant wasn't very old yet. Please give me some feedback, because I don't want to waste time, money or space on it if it doesn't change to those beautiful fall colors. THANKS!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

I had 3 of them, until Hurricane Irene destroyed them. In their 3rd autumn, they started coloring up when the weather turned cool, but not to the extent their reputation indicates. It is said they require some serious cold in the fall, and in my climate, we just don't get that cold until after Christmas. However, during the height of the growing season, they are sufficiently different from other Hakone grasses to warrant growing them. They have a reddish tint mixed with yellow/green all summer.

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 7:53AM
More Discussions
established Pampus grass dead
hi, about 7 years ago i planted Pampas grass, and it...
bella81762
Propagation of Nassella laevissima "Golden Hair Grass" from seed?
I posted on this plant back on July 8 in the "Growing...
mark4321_gw
Miscanthus blight?
A few months ago I got some Miscanthis Hinjo at Lowes...
summer99
Beach grasses great online/cataloge companies
We need to landscape our home in a beach community...
dis2cruise
Feather Reed Grass for East facing wall
I've been pulling what's left of my hair out over this...
srmacy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™