Bishop's Weed, goutweed, aegopodium YUK

perrydel(z5b OH)May 28, 2006

There have been numerouse posts on this horrible "Devil's Weed". I have yet found a positive solution for eradication. Several of my gardens are overrun with it. Here is how I'm going to try to eliminate it and would like anyone to pipe in.

I bought landscaper cloth, yards and yard of it. I'm laying it over the weeds overlapping the cloth and then I will put mulch on top of that. I have just started, so I know not what will happen. Does anyone have an opinion as to this battle plan.

I also would like to know if anyone has been successful in using another ground cover to crowd it our. I have lots of English ivy and that is a successful combatant. I also have sweet woodruff and I'm wondering if it would be a strong enough warrior to battle the "devil weed". Does anyone know ?

Perry in Ohio

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tegwyn

I hope it works for you but...I know that aegopodium will eventually grow right through landscape cloth and mulch. It is a heck of a mess second season trying to remove landscape cloth that has plants growing right through it. One method that has worked for me was cutting the goutweed back to soil level and waiting for the new shoots to appear. Once you have 1 to 2 inches of growth apply a weed spray like round-up or the organic variety that is comprised of cider vinegar. If the goutweed is amongst other plants a paint brush works well. Good luck.

Bookmark   June 8, 2006 at 6:47AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marchi

Did you ever try planting woodruff near the goutweed? I have a neighbour who says the woodruff I gave her chased the goutweed out of an area in her garden. I'm giving it a go this year.

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 8:46AM
More Discussions
Overwintering rosemary
Any suggestions for overwintering rosemary in Zone...
hikerwanda
Michigan in Spring!
At the time of writing this we are under a cover of...
GardenKiwi
Alert - SVB season is now underway
In southwest Michigan - first eggs sighted and dealt...
lilyd74
Prune back and move???
Within the next month we will be tearing out our old...
pattio2
New to Lilies
I am thinking of planting some kind of dark red lily...
owl9
Sponsored Products
Bishop Oiled Bronze Three Light Outdoor Wall Scone with Clear Glass
$187.00 | Bellacor
Bishop Single-Hole Bathroom Faucet
Signature Hardware
Ravenscroft Bishop Spirit Decanter
Classic Hostess
Savoy House Bishop Transitional Mini Chandelier
1800Lighting
Quoizel Bishop Tiffany Style Table Lamp
Lamps Plus