umbrella grass anybody have any ?

tutti2006(7-TN)September 7, 2009

I saw a grass that someone told me it was umbrella grass. It was in someones yard. I didn't know so I couldn't ask.( SOME PEOPLE THINK YOUR A DANGER ).so I didn't ask. It was beautiful I would like to buy some if that is what it is.Does anyone also have a picture of any?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

Umbrella grass is one of the common names for Cyperus. It's not really a grass, but has some common characteristics of grass.

Cyperus is typically a tropical perennial, seldom hardy below zone 8, but there is at least one variety, Cyperus albostriatus Variegatus, which is rumored to be hardy to 7b. I'm testing it this year, so I'll see how it does. I'm going to leave some in the ground, and bring a couple indoors for winter, as it is also a popular houseplant.

You can find plenty of photos using Google Images.

Bookmark   September 8, 2009 at 7:45AM
jerryngeorgia31557(8)

When I Googled the umbreaal grass I found Egyptian Papyrus. I have some if you would like some for postage let me know. It goes by many names. It is called umbrella papyrus. It will grow in or near water or anywhere else. The cold kills it back here in zone 8b but it comes back every spring. I can send you some cuttings with rooting directions. It is the easiest thing I have ever rooted. Email me.

Bookmark   September 9, 2009 at 1:28AM
grass_guy

Is this the plant you saw?

Here is a link that might be useful: cyperus alternifolius

Bookmark   September 10, 2009 at 10:21PM
tutti2006(7-TN)

grass guy, it looks alot like what I saw but it wasn't in water. It was planted in a flower bed.

Bookmark   September 10, 2009 at 11:09PM
grass_guy

Doesn't have to be in a pond, but does prefer wet toes to keep looking nice.

Bookmark   September 11, 2009 at 4:36PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

I have some green Cyperus that looks just like the link above, here in zone 7b/8. I have had it for about four or five years. It's tough. Mine is in a mixed woodland border and gets moisture from the path the air conditioning trickle takes, but is at least 6 to 8 feet from the source. I have not had a hard winter in several years and I do mulch heavily.

Bookmark   September 12, 2009 at 7:32PM
jerryngeorgia31557(8)

I have had it growing in my yard now for 6 years and there is no pond or anything else like that. It is also called Egyptian Papyrus. Why two different names I do not know.

Bookmark   September 20, 2009 at 2:07AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Cyperus and Papyrus are two different plants. They are similar in that they will both grow in standing water and they are both tropical but they aren't the same plants.

Here is a picture showing both of them, side by side in my greenhouse pond. Egyptian Papyrus on the left, Cyperus on the right.

Bookmark   October 4, 2009 at 6:52PM
More Discussions
my pink pampas grasses
hello again.........I posted my disaster in the spring...
casagrande
Propagation of Nassella laevissima "Golden Hair Grass" from seed?
I posted on this plant back on July 8 in the "Growing...
mark4321_gw
Link to picture of grasses?
Does anyone know a link where I can see what kind of...
tiver43809
Splitting my Maiden Grass
I plan on splitting my grass in the spring. When is...
purpleshovel
Best time to cut grasses back in my zone 9
I recently moved to the San Francisco Peninsula Zone...
kmoodymz3
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™