Suggestions for OG in front of privacy fence.

joefalco(z8 MB SC)September 25, 2007

I have a privacy fence that is about 25' feet long and it borders the road and a slope (drainage ditch)

I was thinking about planting the whole length with some OG because it is narrow and very hard to mow must be weed whacked.

I was thinking OG would look good and be maintanance free. What would you all suggest?

I was thinking Pampas Grass but it is So common here I would prefer something a little different. I would need something that is thick and out competed all weeds.

Thanks for suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

My favorite weed-suppressing ornamental grass is Pennisetum. The thick fountain-shaped canopy of foliage almost completely prevents weed growth under it. Those weeds which manage to grow, can't be seen.

Still, to be certain, your best bet would be to skin off the sod, and put down a layer of landscape fabric. Then plant your new grasses through holes in the fabric, and cover it all with a thick layer of mulch. After that, your only maintenance would be an annual haircut for the OG.

Here's a 'hedge' of Pennisetum in my front yard:

It's Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Moudry,' with 8 plants in a 20' line, and Blue Fescue and Mexican Feather Grass in front of it. This species tops out at 3' to the blooms, but there are others which get a bit taller.

Bookmark   September 26, 2007 at 6:29AM
More Discussions
Carex Comans 'Frosty Curls' turning brown yellow
I have searched a bit on this subject and have not...
ersh
Northwinds planting in Central TX
I am considering planting a dozen or so Northwinds...
jscaldwell
Feather Reed Grass for East facing wall
I've been pulling what's left of my hair out over this...
srmacy
Looking for Pink Muhly grass
Hi Guys, Popped in to see if anyone had pink muhly...
bri_fl
have: variegated "peppermint stick" giant reed grass / arundo do
I have many rhizomes I can trade. This one seems to...
risinsun
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™