Morning Glory Light Requirements

mum_mumMay 2, 2013

Hello!

I live in Chesterland, Ohio which is in Geauga County- Zone 5b/6a-

About how many hours of direct sunlight do morning glories require per day and are there any varieties that can withstand some shade?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sherriseden(z6 IL)

Mum mum, they are said to need full sun, which is usually equal to at least 6 hours of sun. However . . . I have seen MGs perform fairly well in 4 to 5 hours of sun or even 2 to 3 hours if there is dappled sun before or after. The thing is that with less sun, there are fewer blooms.

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 9:20PM
mum_mum

Thank you so much- The area in which I'm considering planting them gets full sun from just after sunrise until 11 - noon- Then dappled shade- Then sunny again as the sun begins to set-

I was looking on ebay last night at different varieties of Morning Glory seeds- Some indicate part shade- So guess I'll give it a go-

Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 8:30PM
davidcalgary29(2b)

I planted 'carnival mix' in my front garden last year (which has much the same light levels as you've indicated), and most of the plants did just fine. Don't expect the masses of blossoms you'd get in a more favourable location, though.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 1:14AM
mum_mum

Thanks for the suggestion- That sounds just fine- Some is better than none- My intention is to cover up an area where the soil is poor- There's that and in the event we have another drought this year they may survive due to mid-day shade- Out of everything I planted last year in full sun the morning glory proved to be the hardiest of the bunch- They got limp, no question- But bounced back after sundown-

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 1:41PM
Noahedwinbeach2(7b)

I have tons of blooms and they have sprawled across the ground filling in a large area. All they get is about 2 hours of direct sun per day because large oaks grow all around them. In the same area I am growing lots of productive tomatoes, marigolds, carrots, and potatoes. Sometimes I question direct sunlight requirements of plants.

Bookmark   November 8, 2014 at 5:17PM
More Discussions
blushing bride
Does anyone have any suggestions why my blushing brides...
hoovie
Anyone have a Weeping Willow Tree?
It seems like these are hard to find. I am in zone...
happytomato2008
kirkland apple
Just planted our first Kirkland apple tree. Anyone...
wannab_gardener
Prune back and move???
Within the next month we will be tearing out our old...
pattio2
Blueberries - To Stay in Decorative Pot Or Planted in Garden?
I was given a pot with three varieties of blueberry...
dllfb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™