Bottomless Pots for OG ?

arjayvee(Z5 SW Michigan)October 29, 2005

Hello,

We live in an all-sand environment (sand dunes near Lake Michigan). I was thinking that, rather than replace large areas of sand with a soil mix, I could sink cylydrical "bottomless pots" into the sand and then make the interiors a soil mixture.

Since we like OG's like Miscanthus Senensis gracimillus and morning light as well as Panicum Virgatum "Heavy Metal" these cylinders would have a diameter of, maybe, three feet.

I would think that the interior of the cylinder would best be smooth so that dividing the grasses over the years might be easier.

However, in searching for ideas on what to use for these bottomless pots, the only thing that comes to mind is that heavy, black, corrugated drain tile.

Any other suggestions on what I might use and where I might purchase it?

Thank You!

arjayvee

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

The heavy vinyl sold to contain running bamboo plantings would work, but it is not inexpensive. Just ask your local garden center or nursery supply company if they stock "bamboo barrier". Other possibilities are plastic garbage cans (also used for containing bamboo plantings) cut to size or large nursery pots. These tend to be not very heavy plastic (unlike smaller nursery pots) and are available in sizes as large as 10 or 15 gallon. Bottoms will have to be removed, of course.

Bookmark   October 29, 2005 at 9:50AM
More Discussions
Beach grasses great online/cataloge companies
We need to landscape our home in a beach community...
dis2cruise
type of grass?
This is such a pretty grass. Everyone asks what it...
bunky
Can anyone ID the plant
I saw a beautiful grass outside a mall. Does anyone...
Chipeony
Maiden grass
Is maiden grass too invasive to be nearby a septic...
nancy0852
my pink pampas grasses
hello again.........I posted my disaster in the spring...
casagrande
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™