Best Detroit area greenhouses/nurseries?

cardwellaveJune 10, 2011

Hey fellow Detroiters, where are some of your favorite nurseries/greenhouses? I live in the Garden City/Westland area and I am running out of good places to go. I LOVED Block's of Romulus but they are closed now. Schwartz's down the street on Sibley wasn't bad either but they are close to closing also I believe, at least their perennials are all but gone. There is a red barn on Ford Rd and Newburgh called Ken's Country Produce that isn't bad, decent selection and prices. English Garden's and Farmer John's have nice selections, but pricey.

Where else is there to go? Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ruth_MI(z5MI)

Northfield Farms! They used to be wholesale only but are now retail too. They're a production house, and not a full-service nursery, so aren't staffed to stand around and answer questions, but are extremely nice people with great plants. Wear comfortable shoes - it's BIG.

They're on Rushton Road in South Lyon, and worth the drive IMO. Website is northfieldplants.com

Barson's is another place that's not too pricey.

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 5:05PM
cardwellave

Barsons never seems to have a good selection, I am very close to them though.

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 12:43AM
Ruth_MI(z5MI)

I agree - I just consider it another place to check if I'm looking for a particular plant.

Specialty Growers in Howell is reasonably priced and has a decent selection. They're not huge...but you can look at their catalog online.

For a very good selection with reasonable prices, I think Northfield is worth the trip.

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 1:15PM
More Discussions
New construction - tree choices
Hi there, So we have a 1.5 acre lot that I'd like to...
BeccaMI
So anyone growing Virginia Bluebells?
Or more properly known as Mertensia virginica? If so,...
paul_
Transplanting perennials in wintertime (from IL to IN)
I need some advice. I want to transplant many of my...
Tammyellers990
Michigan in Spring!
At the time of writing this we are under a cover of...
GardenKiwi
Question about cow manure
I'm wondering what is best about putting actual cow...
tewitt1949
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™